ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan dumps AIC, 5-2 (recap)

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Michigan pummeled American International (AIC) goaltender Alex Murray with 41 shots Friday night and connected on five of them, besting the Yellow Jackets, 5-2, in the opener of a two-game set at Yost Arena.

Andrew Copp broke out of his early season scoring funk with a pair of goals and an assist while Max Shuart took advantage of re-configured line combinations to add a goal and an assist for the Wolverines.

Tyler Motte and Kevin Lohan scored the other Michigan goals while JT Compher and Andrew Sinelli each contributed a pair of assists.

"I think we're pretty happy," said Wolverine captain Copp post-game. "Shots were in our favor, kind of speaks to the way we played, especially in their zone. I think we gave up a few too many chances against, and had the puck bounced a few different ways it probably would have been a bit closer game. Overall though I think we're happy, you saw (Max) Shuart, JT (Compher), and Boo (Nieves) get some real chemistry. Our line had some chemistry, we got some things worked out that we needed to get worked out, so we're good."

Of his new Motte-Coppp-Sinelli pairing, Michigan head coach Red Berenson said, "I thought they were the line that seemed to lead the way offensively. Whenever we needed something, they were the line that responded. Not only scoring the first goal, but when our team started to go into a little bit of a funk, (Andrew) Copp's line generated the energy."

Even though AIC managed two goals on just 13 shots, the offense generated by the Wolverines was the main story.

In addition to being pleased with the line centered by Copp, Berenson had words of praise for the Shuart-Compher-Nieves line as well.

"I thought they were good," said Berenson of his second line pairing. I liked JT and I thought he was leading the way. He moved the puck pretty well and they had their chances and could have had a couple more. We're not just interested in what they do with the puck but interested in what they do without the puck. It's important that they are responsible in both ends but I like the direction that line is going in."

Shuart was thrilled with the opportunity to skate with Compher and Nieves.

"I can't say enough about those guys, both really good players," Shuart offered. "Obviously, I was just in the right spot at the right time. Anyone probably could have put that in, so it was just a really good play from the start. Boo (Nieves) beating out the icing, using his speed to get on there off a great pass by JT (Compher). I'm really enjoying playing with these guys, trying to take as much advantage of the opportunity as I can."

Michigan's power play woes continued. Coming into the contest having gone three for 28 on the power play, the Wolverines failed to connect with the man advantage on their three opportunities..

"I thought we weren't bad, but we weren't as good as we have to be," Berenson said of the Wolverine power play. "We maybe got too cute or whatever. Give them credit, they are good on the penalty kill but we need to be better."

Michigan (3-5-0) and AIC (2-6-1) get right back into action Saturday night at Yost at 7:35pm in the series finale.

This post was edited on 11/15 3:18 AM by Bob Miller

Seems like breaking up Copp and Compher, which I knew had to be done after they did nothing together for 7 games, would pay dividends. Both those guys needed to run their own lines, and now we have 3 good lines. It's also good that we got two goals from the defense on point shots...helps to increase their confidence. The first goal that Nags gave up was really bad...the replay seemed like he just whiffed on a 45 foot shot...still seems iffy and must play better. Obviously, we must sweep this series, so I'll wait until after we win the next game to feel a bit better about this team.

Rather than stressing about individual game performances, I look at trends, whether they're improving, regressing or maintaining the status quo.
Spath has always thought it strange that I don't care really about wins and losses, but about player development.

Trend wise... the team seemed hesitant to shoot. Or would one call that trying to force a "better" chance? Dunno. Either way, players had shots, and decided to do something with the puck- either pass it into traffic or attempt another move- both of which ended up bad. Yes, we dominated the shooting, but so many times you could see players try to force a play only to have AIC break it up.

And I think that trend really got our our players minds- or maybe gave AIC a lot of confidence- I thought the game got more and more sloppy for our passing as the game went on. It was very discombobulated out there.

What I saw as the perfect illustration of that were the power plays. The team tried to move around, keep open, but AIC was able to anticipate what we were going to do so to block things up.

At least we won.

More on the plus side- some nice goals. Copp's game opener came from a GREAT screen, the Nieves-Compher-Shuart goal was really nice, Lohan scores!

When players get the mind-set that they HAVE to do something, they start squeezing the sticks a little tighter, or try to make the perfect pass instead.

It'll be interesting to see if last night's win eases the internal pressures and allows them them a feeling of greater freedom tonight.

Returning to my pre-game comments: (1) Sinelli back in the lineup: Good results, 2 assists for him and his line was our best line. (2) Shuart - still trending up.

But picking up on AlphaDriver's comments - this win is like the FB team beating Miami of Ohio . . . .

These next few games are no-win situations for the team. If they win, they were supposed to do just that. If, heaven forbid, they slip up, there'll be he'll to pay.

So far, so good.

Beware Penn State. Haven't seen any of their games, but they appear to be anything, but a pushover. Of course, this Michigan team should already know that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT