ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan defeats Minnesota 5-3 to take the opening game...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
of the weekend, giving them a shot at a sweep tomorrow.

I think it's fairly safe to concede the conference title to Notre Dame at this point, they are so far ahead of everyone I don't see any way for them not to take it unless they pretty much lose every game from this point forward. That leaves the battle right now for second place or at least a top three finish which I think is the place you want to be for home ice in the opening round of the playoffs.

Going into the weekend Michigan was in sixth place with 12 points. Minnesota and Wisconsin were right in front of Michigan with 14 points each, then PSU with 20, and OSU with 22.

So after tonight's win Michigan has moved up to fourth jumping ahead of both Minnesota and Wisconsin. Michigan State shut out Wisconsin 2-0 tonight to allow Michigan to slip ahead of the Badgers. Penn State beat OSU so the Nits move into 2nd, one point ahead of OSU who holds where they started the night by virtue of the loss.

If Michigan can come up with a big win tomorrow night, that would set up a huge weekend next week when Penn State comes to Yost. Even if Michigan loses tomorrow night, next weekend is going to be huge with PSU ahead of Michigan in the standings.

I thought UM played some really good stretches last night. They kind of lost control in the third but had done plenty before that. Solid on D. Fairly creative on O.

Ironically, they probably weren't as good as they were against ND, but got the bounces this time. Hockey karma perhaps? I thought their work rate was really good and the two "lucky" goals came off nothing but hard work. I also liked the way they handled much of the 3rd, ahead and on the road - get the puck, get it deep, keep Minnesota 200 feet away. That went sideways at the end, but fortunately a poor MN pass and good effort by Warren bailed us out.

The win puts us 18th in the Pairwise, and another tonight would be huge. I'd like to see a smarter game tonight and we really need to stay out of the box.

Reactions: clevelandcane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT