ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan All-Time Team (Post-Bo)

Highbury

All-American
Dec 21, 2021
I update this every few years. My freshman year was Moeller's first year - I missed Bo (although I was following the team avidly in 1989 when it began to look like Michigan was a distinct possibility.)

That's also a neat cutoff, because 1990 was the first year we went to a pro-style offense.

I do this on total career accomplishments, not peak value. So, for example, while Chris Perry and Tim Biakabutuka had the two best single seasons at RB during my era, Tyrone Wheatley, Anthony Thomas, Mike Hart and Blake Corum all had/have had better full careers.

So here we go...

QB: Elvis Grbac

This was tough. Could have gone with Chad Henne, and there is even an argument to be made for Denard Robinson, as weird as it would be to go with someone who didn't even finish his career as the starter. But Elvis was the QB for a Heisman-winning WR, led the nation in pass efficiency, QB'd us to at least a partial Big Ten title 3 times, went to 2 Rose Bowls, wining one. He was 2-0-1 against OSU. Next time I do this team, I expect the QB to be JJ McCarthy.

RB: Mike Hart

Watching the 2005 PSU game on BTN recently, I was reminded just how good Hart was, practically from the day he arrived. He wasn't fast, and he was a brilliant power runner despite not being big. Barry Sanders was really the only RB I have ever watched who was better at not letting the first tackler get him on the ground. And to top It all off, he was a great pass blocker.

RB: Tyrone Wheatley

His best year was actually his sophomore year, but he had three seasons of over 1100 yards. He was really Bo Jackson Lite. Next time I do this team, it's possible I will need to replace Wheatley with Corum.

TE: Tony McGee

This was tough. We've had a lot of pretty good TE's, but rarely a great one. Colston Loveland may be about to change that. Jake Butt was the best receiver but was a liability as a blocker. McGee was still probably the best overall. Could have gone Jerame Tuman, too.

LT: Jake Long

This one's a no-brainer. #1 overall pick.

LG: Steve Hutchinson

This is also another no-brainer. A first round pick OG. All-timer.

C: Steve Everitt

We've had some good ones - David Molk, Cesar Ruiz, Rod Payne... but Everitt is the class of the bunch.

RG: Zak Zinter

Could have put any number of guys here, and a year from now this will clearly be Zinter. But I think the case for him is sound already, starter on two Joe Moore-winning lines, and arguably the best player on those lines.

RT: Jon Runyan

Yes, he played LT in college, but he was a monster that would have been just fine on the right. Could have thrown a number of guys in here - Jon Jansen, Greg Skrepenak...

WR: Braylon Edwards

Had a great career, culminating in the Bilentnikoff Award and being drafted in the top ten. This one was easy.

SL: Desmond Howard

Heisman winner. Also an easy one.

WR: David Terrell

This one was tougher. Could have gone with Marquise Walker, Jason Avant, Derrick Alexander, Amani Toomer or even Jeremy Gallon (who had one of the best Michigan seasons that history won't remember.) But Terrell, despite never having a 1000-yard season, still ended up a first round pick and looked headed for pro stardom.

DE: Aidan Hutchinson

Obvs.

NT: Mazi Smith

I think he actually passed up Terrance Taylor and Ryan Glasgow at nose.

3T: Maurice Hurst

Mo was a disruptive game-changer, clearly the best we've had at this position.

DE: LaMarr Woodley

Hard to leave Brandon Graham off - the way he brought it every week for a terrible team in 2008 is still inspiring. But Woodley was just too good.

WILL: Devin Bush

The best see ball/get ball LB we've had.

MIKE: Dave Harris

There was nothing sexy about his game. He was just really, really good.

SAM: Jake Ryan

This one was really tough between Ryan, Dhani Jones and Shawn Crable.

CB: Ty Law

CB: Leon Hall

Enjoy your stay here, Leon - Will Johnson's going to kick you off shortly.

CB/NB: Charles Woodson

Only putting the greatest Michigan football player ever at the nickel because this is where he'd play if Law and Hall were around. And Woodson actually redefined the nickel position during his pro career's second act in Green Bay.

SS: Jabrill Peppers

The VIPER really was more of a SAM linebacker than a safety, but we've had so few good safeties. and strong safety is where has played in the NFL. He was a Heisman finalist, so we kinda need to get him in here somewhere.

FS: Tripp Welborne

ACL injury stunted a great career. But he was tremendous at Michigan. The first Michigan jersey I owned, in fact.

PK: Jake Moody

Left little doubt.

P: Matt Wile

Could have gone Brad Robbins here, TBH. But he dropped off a bit last season, mostly for lack of use.

KOR: Steve Breaston

PR: Jabrill Peppers

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News