ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan’s Path To The CFP is clear...

jrandyyoung

All-League
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2006
I know there a lot of pessimists on our board and I am guilty of being a half full guy. But regardless of your lean, you have to agree that Michigan’s path to the CFB is clearly laid out after the most recent Top 25 poll. If Michigan wins out, that’s 7 games, then they are in. Most of the teams ahead of them will basically need to win out to get to the playoff. And many of the teams either play each other or play Michigan. The Wolverines will get PSU on Saturday and then play Notre Dame and OSU at The Big House later this season and wins over those 3 would eliminate each. I have Clemson in the playoff-there is no one in the ACC that can challenge. Should they slip up and lose a game, they would deserve to be eliminated. With Georgia’s loss this past weekend, the SEC is going to come down to Florida, LSU or Alabama. A one loss Michigan team and the schedule we play would trump any one loss SEC team which would include Georgia, Auburn, TA&M, and LSU all of whom are currently rated ahead of Michigan. Oklahoma will be in the playoff if it wins out but the have a knack for getting upset. Oregon will get leapfrogged by Michigan this week if Michigan beats Penn State. Again with a win over Notre Dame next week Michigan would be in the Top 6 with Ohio State and their destiny ahead of them. Then we would likely get a rematch with Wisconsin in the B1G Championship game. The winner of that game is in the CFP especially if Wisconsin is undefeated heading into it.

So there it is. Win out, and all the conversation about how bad Michigan looked early is just part of the lore of the 2019 team. So for you nay sayers who think Michigan has nothing to play for, be advised that the preseason is over. College Football starts on Saturday for the Wolverines. They may win or lose, but today everything is still in front of them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News