ADVERTISEMENT

looking Forward To Our Game This Year

BoldSpartacus

May 29, 2001
Our annual game this year is going to be especially compelling with Harbaugh on the sidelines. I've been impressed with the urgency he has brought to the job and some of the moves he has made. I think bringing in Ruddock will prove especially helpful for your team. I thought Rudduck was a good QB at Iowa given the supporting cast he had there and I expect he will be the most effective QB Michigan has had since Henne.

Your last two quarterbacks were heroic at times but contributed the most with their feet, I think Ruddock will understand how to exploit the defenses he faces and be effective in the pocket. Maybe you guys who are more familiar with your other QB options than me will disagree but I think Ruddock will start and if the Michigan OL is improved I think He will help Harbaugh get off to a good start. I'm not going to pretend I wish you well but I expect Harbaugh is going to start his tenure with a strong first year. As Jim Tressel said when Mark Dontonio was hired, "the neighborhood just got tougher."

Reactions: jackvan
Our annual game this year is going to be especially compelling with Harbaugh on the sidelines. I've been impressed with the urgency he has brought to the job and some of the moves he has made. I think bringing in Ruddock will prove especially helpful for your team. I thought Rudduck was a good QB at Iowa given the supporting cast he had there and I expect he will be the most effective QB Michigan has had since Henne.

Your last two quarterbacks were heroic at times but contributed the most with their feet, I think Ruddock will understand how to exploit the defenses he faces and be effective in the pocket. Maybe you guys who are more familiar with your other QB options than me will disagree but I think Ruddock will start and if the Michigan OL is improved I think He will help Harbaugh get off to a good start. I'm not going to pretend I wish you well but I expect Harbaugh is going to start his tenure with a strong first year. As Jim Tressel said when Mark Dontonio was hired, "the neighborhood just got tougher."
You sure you're a Sparty fan? You seem a little too reasonable.

Just sayin'.

You sure you're a Sparty fan? You seem a little too reasonable.

Just sayin'.
How 'bout this then:
+ D
Meh O
Vs.
+ D
+ O

Take MSU and give 3.5 while it's still available;)

If football is truly won in the trenches, MSU is looking really, really good this year.
Now 2016...that will be the interesting game.

I have been saying it since Harbaugh was hired in January that Michigan will be a completely different football program under him. There is no waiting until he gets this or that person in. Brady Hoke was stuck with Rich Rodriguez's crappy recruiting and that is true. Hoke did an excellent job of rebuilding the trenches and the defense. His downfall was not recruting a quarterback and that cost him his job along with the fact that the players were never developed and coached like they should have been. Hoke's teams also played with the "This is Michigan attitude" and they LOST becuase of a lack of work ethic, accountability, and fire. NONE of this will exist under Harbaugh. He inherited a team full of very good players without a proven and developed quarterback. This is why he has brough Ruddock in for 2015. Michigan will be better than average on offense this year and the defense may be a top 5 defense nationally. Last year, the defense was ranked 7th nationally. They will be much more modern and better than they were under Mattison where Hoke himself was a position coach. Michigan, if Ruddock can stay healthy, may very well win 10 games this year and they will beat either MSU or OSU this year marking the beginning of the Harbaugh era in Ann Arbor. Harbaugh's team will look prepared, organized, coached, and they will be very physical like Michigan used to be. There will be no excuses and you can bet that our new AD will stay out of the news and let Harbaugh craft his program. Michigan will be back into college football this year and will be even better than they were under Loyd Carr and he had some damn good teams. The good times will begin to roll in Ann Arbor this season and will get better and better each year.

Last edited:
I agree that Harbaugh is very solid
I agree UM will be improved.

UM is not beating MSU or OSU this year..
OL.. DL.. Too strong for MSU OSU barring catastrophic injuries.. Throw in that both MSU OSU will have better QB play than UM... This year.. No upset over MSU/OSU

Disagree. In both of those games, it NEVER matters who has the better players or QB. These are rivalry games and Michigan will be right in the thick of them this season. As bad as UM was last year, neither MSU or OSU blew them out. In fact, OSU struggles with them every year regardless. Harbaugh's Stanford team beat USC his first year on the Farm and that USC team player for player was absolutely awesome with both talent and coaching.

Hey, SC makes some good points.
We were good QB play last year from winning 10 games, imagine what this team will do with a true QB managing the game instead of giving it away.

Trenches matter.... And the trenches THIS UPCOMING YEAR ONLY are a total mismatch for UM vs either MSU/OSU. We know what happened to the OSU QB in the OSU game last year.. This year ask yourself ..how many UM linemen would start on either OSU/ MSU this year. ? 1 ? 2 ? out of 9 positions.. This year is a mismatch if all 3 teams are healthy.. UM will be back... Just disagree about the matchups this year with MSU/OSU.. Stanford and USC are not playing this year.. This is not about history. it's trenches and matchups..

Trenches matter.... And the trenches THIS UPCOMING YEAR ONLY are a total mismatch for UM vs either MSU/OSU. We know what happened to the OSU QB in the OSU game last year.. This year ask yourself ..how many UM linemen would start on either OSU/ MSU this year. ? 1 ? 2 ? out of 9 positions.. This year is a mismatch if all 3 teams are healthy.. UM will be back... Just disagree about the matchups this year with MSU/OSU.. Stanford and USC are not playing this year.. This is not about history. it's trenches and matchups..

Does MSU have a Top 3 (within the B1G) offensive AND defensive line? Yep, definitely.

Does MSU have a Top 3 (within the B1G) linebacker unit? Probably so (though not as "definitely" as question #1).

But is U-M's offensive line "good enough" to allow opportunities for their offense to exploit MSU's glaring defensive inadequacy (the defensive backfield)? It could be, I don't rule this out. There are lots of returning starters along the U-M OL even without Miller at Center, and 2014 was already better than 2013. At the very least, Rudock will provide competence at the QB position --- if he gets enough time, he could theoretically pick apart that MSU secondary.

I'm not as high as most folk on U-M's defense --- I think the Wolverine front seven is a clear fourth best just within the B1G East --- but they're still pretty damn good. MSU scoring 24+ against U-M doesn't seem realistic to me.

So, a fairly realistic (IMO) scenario for U-M beating MSU is this: "good enough" OL play and "competent enough" QB play to beat MSU's secondary for a few touchdowns, and those points being enough to edge an MSU offense which just simply isn't going to go gangbusters on the scoreboard themselves vs. U-M's defense.

I totally agree about the trenches and this is where Hoke did a great job recruiting/ Michigan has several OL and DL which would play at either OSU or MSU this year and in fact, many of them were recruited by the Bucks and Spartans. The difference is they have been coached and developed better as players at this point. They are still good players though or they would not have been offered a scholarship by such major programs. I think MSU is completely discounting the fact that they have lost Pat Narduzzi as a DC. He was excellent and yes his fellow coaches took over for the bowl, however, he will not be there this year and that will have a major impact on the Spartans this year. If this is a year of mismatches then would UM still not be behind next year and so on? Having good players is not enough to win. That is certainly one component of the machine, however, coaching and leadership each and every week is what defines a football program.Brady Hoke and his staff (exception being Mattison) are simply mid level coaches period. Had they been anything other then some major programs would have been vying for their services this year other than Fresno State. It was the same as Rodriguez's clowns which were not much better than high school coaches. Rod;s failure was his inability to hold them accountable and they proved to be the anchor around his neck as he went down. Jim Harbaugh and the staff he has compiled is WAY better than what has been in Ann Arbor the last 8 years and he is not going to sit around week after week and watch UM look as terrible as they have 7 out of the last 8 years. I still think they upset eithe rMSU or OSU this year.

Does MSU have a Top 3 (within the B1G) offensive AND defensive line? Yep, definitely.

Does MSU have a Top 3 (within the B1G) linebacker unit? Probably so (though not as "definitely" as question #1).

But is U-M's offensive line "good enough" to allow opportunities for their offense to exploit MSU's glaring defensive inadequacy (the defensive backfield)? It could be, I don't rule this out. There are lots of returning starters along the U-M OL even without Miller at Center, and 2014 was already better than 2013. At the very least, Rudock will provide competence at the QB position --- if he gets enough time, he could theoretically pick apart that MSU secondary.

I'm not as high as most folk on U-M's defense --- I think the Wolverine front seven is a clear fourth best just within the B1G East --- but they're still pretty damn good. MSU scoring 24+ against U-M doesn't seem realistic to me.

So, a fairly realistic (IMO) scenario for U-M beating MSU is this: "good enough" OL play and "competent enough" QB play to beat MSU's secondary for a few touchdowns, and those points being enough to edge an MSU offense which just simply isn't going to go gangbusters on the scoreboard themselves vs. U-M's defense.
MSU does not have a "glaring weakness" in the secondary. MSU does have question marks at corner, only because they are "unproven" not because they can't play. MSU has outstanding safeties so that is not a weakness. Dantonio specializes in defensive back coaching so I'm not concerned about the corners. And for those of you talking about Narduzzi's departure, just keep in mind that Dantonio is a National Championship Defensive Coordinator.

Harbaugh is a great coach, but you guys act like he's far superior to Dantonio at the college level and that remains to be seen.

I do not believe or say that Harbaugh is far superior to Dantonio, however, I know he is just as good as a college coach. As far as the head coach being a national chmapionship DC that is true, however, he is not calling the defense or the offense and having great coordinators is the key for any program. Losing Narduzzi will be a major deal and you will see that this season. Look at what Mattison's leadership as a DC did for UM the very minute he stepped foot into AA. In his first year, UM's defense went fron 112 nationally to 16th in 2011. That was also with the players that RR had recruited which was practically none on defense. Mattison did not leave the program however as he is now a position coach. MSU will still be a fantastic team this year, however, I really believe by the end of the year that UM may have a better record going into the OSU game. Just my opinion though.

MSU does not have a "glaring weakness" in the secondary. MSU does have question marks at corner, only because they are "unproven" not because they can't play. MSU has outstanding safeties so that is not a weakness. Dantonio specializes in defensive back coaching so I'm not concerned about the corners. And for those of you talking about Narduzzi's departure, just keep in mind that Dantonio is a National Championship Defensive Coordinator.

Harbaugh is a great coach, but you guys act like he's far superior to Dantonio at the college level and that remains to be seen.

In MSU's 3 games against good offenses, they gave up 136 points (45 ppg). Not a sign of a Nation Championship Defensive Coordinator. On the other hand,
they do shut down poor offenses.

In MSU's 3 games against good offenses, they gave up 136 points (45 ppg). Not a sign of a Nation Championship Defensive Coordinator. On the other hand,
they do shut down poor offenses.
Wow, so you characterize Oregon, Baylor and OSU as "good offenses"? Please name me 3 better offenses in the entire nation. Those were great offenses that not even a great defensive, 3 time, National Championship coach like Nick Saban could shut down with his stable of athletes. Was that "Not the sign of a National Championship coach?" If that's your measuring stick so be it, either way UM will not be fielding an offense any where close to the level of those teams so I love MSU chances of again being dominant against you guys.

I never even mentioned Dantonio (or Harbaugh) in my post, yet I'm accused of understating how awesome Dantonio is.

Like Mark himself, you seem to have the ability to turn any statement into something to take offense against!

MSU's defensive backfield is an obvious question mark in 2015. I'm not being a jerk in saying that, it just is what it is.

Take MSU and give 3.5 while it's still available;)
If the current line MSU (-3.5), I'd bet both my morgages on the Spartans. #EasyMoney

kenny-powers-making-it-rain-o.gif

I never even mentioned Dantonio (or Harbaugh) in my post, yet I'm accused of understating how awesome Dantonio is.

Like Mark himself, you seem to have the ability to turn any statement into something to take offense against!

MSU's defensive backfield is an obvious question mark in 2015. I'm not being a jerk in saying that, it just is what it is.
As I stated, defensive backfield is not a question mark. The cornerback position is a question mark. Last I checked, safeties are defensive backs and we have excellent safeties. No offense taken, I was just clearing that point up. Not calling you a jerk at all. When it comes to the cornerback position, Dantonio has proven over and again that it's next man up. We were told corner was going to be a weakness when Adams graduated, then Dennard stepped up....Dennard graduates and it's going to be a weakness, then Waynes steps up....If MSUs biggest weakness going into the season is corner, I'm not worried at all.

No one answered my simple question..
Out of 9 OL/DL positions ..how many UM players would start on either the OSU/MSU teams..
1 ? 2 ? You have a mismatch in the trenches ..THIS year.. Not forever. You will be pushed around a bit.. This year...

Just a question on Rudock.. The offense as a whole..

Do you think that Rudock can enroll in late July and within 20-25 fall camp practices be up to speed with the timing, the offense, WR's etc.. ? Rudock may be an improvement over SM but realistically its going to a time of adjustment too.. OSU / MSU QB's have a much firmer grasp of their offenses.
Harbaugh is going to be a winner but I just do not see the constant prediction of a victory over MSU/OSU ( either ) as logical.. Barring huge OSU/MSU injuries.. These are top 5 teams.. Fair to assume UM is a top 40 team.. This year..

Reactions: roaringfork green

I have to agree with what you have said...Dantonio has done a great job and our rivalry will only get better with Harbaugh and the staff that he has. Kudo's for MSU bringing some respectability to the Big Ten. I am a huge MSU fan unless they are playing UofM..

Reactions: BoldSpartacus
Saying that Michigan will beat OSU and/or MSU isn't a logical statement. It's fan bravado and wishful thinking but not logical. It could happen and if it does there will be Michigan fans claiming they knew it would, but they didn't.

Much like the OSU fans who said OSU would still win the National Championship the week Miller went down. It turned out they were right, but not because of anything they could logically reason to such a prediction.

Pre-season AP bowl game projections has Michigan State looking pretty good, projected for Rose Bowl. Buckeyes projected to return to Championship game. Wisconsin to Citrus Bowl. Penn State to Holiday Bowl. Michigan to Pinstripe Bowl.

UM can absolutely beat both MSU and OSU this year. They have them at home and in spite of not having comparable talent across the board (yet) they do have a top notch coach and they will be motivated. I'm guessing every UM player has had a good, healthy dose of Coach Harbaugh. If they're all in they will be much more competitive than years past.
However, UM fans gotta know that Coaches Dantonio and Meyer know they will be in for more than they have in the past and they will take absolutely nothing for granted.
The B1G season is going to be exciting. I pity the Hoosiers and Boilermakers.

10% chance to go 1 of 2, a .01% they win both.
90% chance they lose both. Forecast is bleak. Worry about the other OSU and Utah. That is the proper weight class.

I agree with you that MSU likely won't have a major drop off. It's certainly a strong possibility that MSU beats UM this year, but I think the general sentiment isn't that Harbaugh is far superior to all other college coaches, just that he inherited a decent team with highly ranked recruits and can coach far better than our previous coach.

People seem to forget how Dantonio started his program. He came to a team with little talent and realized to build it right it would take time and we would take some lumps with it. Starting without much he still redshirted almost all of his Fr class and has continued to do that each year since then. Yea it was a tough first three or four years but that's how programs are built. It's put MSU in position to "reload" each year now with guys who may not have been 4* but have played under the same coaches for 3 or 4 years before they see full time play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT