ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about solutions outside of better defense and confidence..

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
Here are some crazy suggestions.

1. Donnal to the #4. Not a back to the basket player. Does he have the explosiveness to pick n roll? Probably doesn't have the quickness to play defense out on the perimeter.

Now..how about having Donnal play the #4 offensively and then switch off with Chatman on the defensive side. Have Chatman play the #5 on offense. If Morgan could do it..why not Chatman?

or scenario...

Wilson comes back...

I now understand why JB was playing Wilson at the #5...because he can do what Morgan could do in his system. Do the same thing with Donnal...switch him to the #4 offensively (perimeter). Have Chatman coming off the bench with Doyle.

Why does this make sense besides just offense...well then two of the frosh are coming off the bench.

Is Wilson most capable of duplicating Morgan offensively? Probably but the defense trade-off is huge which is where Donnal comes in on the switch.

Bottom line is that JB is going to have to get more from the #5 & 4 or this team is in trouble unless LeVERT and Irvin & Walton are lighting up the scoreboard which is unlikely on a regular basis.

Donnal needs to be relied more for perimeter offense for THIS team and Chatman & Wilson can play more of the Morgan pick n roll option and not be relied to score as heavily because it sure looks like it is uncomfortable for Chatman to create offense.

Thoughts?

Reality Man

P.S. The Walton & Albrecht offense...should be a specialty lineup...not the regular lineup.

The problem we have right now is outside of Levert nobody else is consistently playing at a high level. All of us were really hoping Irvin would take a big step forward this year but at this point he has been a big disappointment. We expected Walton to be better and he has struggled. I expected Donnal to be better after all the practice reports last year but he certainly has not made much of an impact. We expected Chatman to be an impact freshman player but he hasn't played up to expectations. I really didn't expect any of the other freshman to make big contributions this year so I can't say I'm disappointed with the lack of production with the rest of that group. Levert has been about what I expected but he really isn't getting much help which is causing problems.

I was a little surprised JB took so many guards/wings in this last class. I thought he should have banked at least one of those to get another big in this next class. Somebody mentioned in a previous post that we need a junkyard dog playing in the middle and I totally agree. Somebody that is big, strong, tough with some athleticism.....our team is missing this type of player.

I don't agree with banking scholarships.

Part of the reason we are having issues now or at least they could have been alleviated had JB took a bigman in 2013, instead of banking that scholarship. Donnal is not big enough to be a 5 and not quick enough nor has the ball skills to be a 4. I wonder what happens with him going forward.

I'm also not a proponent of banking scholarships but he took a bunch of guards/wings. I would have preferred he tried to land an athletic big rahter than load the roster up with wing players. For us to be a serious national contender JB needs to land a tough nosed athletic big guy.

I guess the good news is that the team can't get much worse than this past week. Hopefully they continue to improve.

I agree but the time to take that athletic bigman would have been 2013 and not 2014.

I think he learned his lesson about banking scholarships. He has 2 more in 2015 so lets see.

I think he considers taking Wilson and Donnal as big men..

plus Doyle and Teske. He could have take another big man earlier but then again he 'lost' Hatch plus JB didn't necessarily think he was losing Horford.

Reality Man

JB landed some good bigs but none of them are difference makers this year and possibly next year, Donnal, Doyle and Wilson are nice players but each of them have significant areas of improvement. Hopefully they take big steps forward over the next year because it's tough to win in the Big 10 without strong interior play. I actually think Wilson could be a very good but he needs to get on a serious weight program to get bigger and stronger....but I like his athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT