ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Connor interview...what better time

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Kyle Connor, 2015 Michigan commit and potential first round choice in next June's NHL draft, took time out of his busy schedule recently to talk with The Wolverine.

Kyle Connor interview - TheWolverine.com

When he was skating in the backyard rink his father would make every winter, Kyle Connor was taking the first steps toward a hockey dream.
Connor, a 6-1, 175 pound, center from Shelby Township, Michigan, hoped someday to play for the University of Michigan and his hometown NHL Detroit Red Wings.

With his commitment to play for Michigan as part of the incoming freshman class of 2015, Connor has achieved the first part of that dream.

A consensus top 15 pick in next June's 2015 NHL Entry Draft, Connor is "really looking forward to the opportunity and a chance to continue developing my career at one of the best programs in college hockey."

Connor possesses a high end skill package and an advanced compete level playing both sides of the puck, offense and defense. He has elite skating speed and the vision to make teammates better when on the ice with him.

"My recruitment process (by Michigan) was an exciting process and something I will never forget," said Connor. "I was playing for Belle Tire U16 at the time and I started talking to Michigan a little bit. I went on a visit to the campus and viewed all the first-class facilities. Fortunately, on that visit, the U of M coaching staff offered me (a scholarship) and it was a no brainer to commit."

As a top prospect for the 2015 NHL draft, Connor was selected to play in USA Hockey's All-American All-Star game in Buffalo last September, a showcase for American players in their draft year.

"That was a great experience and something I tried to take all in," Connor said of the all-star game opportunity. " Hearing Eddie Olczyk, Mike Grier and Ray Shero give advice and talk about their experiences getting to the NHL was cool to hear and very beneficial."

Connor has excelled in international on numerous occasions and recently was selected for the second year in a row to play for the United States Junior Select Team that will compete in the 2014 World Junior A Challenge in Kindersley, Saskatchewan, December 14-20.

"The biggest thing about playing international is getting the chance to wear the USA jersey and play for your country," Connor said. "I've gained valuable experience playing against some of the best players from around the world."

Connor compares his game to that of Matt Duchene, who plays for the NHL's Colorado Avalanche, because Duchene uses his speed and vision to make players around him better.

"Being from Michigan and a Detroit Red Wings fan, Pavel Datsyuk is a player I idolized growing up," said Connor. "He is an incredible talent and plays the game the right way."

Connor has had the same success himself at the junior leve with the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL. After scoring 31 goals and adding 43 assists last season with Youngstown, Connor has started the 2014-15 season similarly bagging six goals and adding 11 assists in the Phantoms first 12 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT