ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Cecconi Q and A

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Joe Cecconi - Prospect Game Q and A

Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL) defenseman Joe Cecconi committed to become a member of Michigan's hockey program last spring. A native of the Buffalo suburb of Youngstown, New York, Cecconi was selected to play in last September's All-American Prospect Game, USA Hockey's annual showcase of American hockey talent slated for selection in the following June's NHL entry draft, a game held in Buffalo.

Cecconi, a 6-2 205 right-handed shot, spoke with The Wolverine about the game and other subjects.

On being selected to play in the All-Star game:

"Last year when I watched the game for the (birth year) '96s, I knew I wanted to play In that game. My coach for the Muskegon Lumberjacks hinted to me (that he had been selected), then I got the email from USA Hockey. I was really happy because I'm from Buffalo and there were a lot of people coming to watch me."

On his performance in the game:

"I thought I played pretty well but no one had played with each other previously, so none of the defensive pairings had any chemistry and it was kind of tough."

On performing with the high level of talent in the game:

"When you play against (Jack) Eichel and Kyle Connor (fellow Michigan commitment), guys like that, you have to respect how they play or they'll skate right by you. Just the whole atmosphere makes everyone go that much harder. You know that people are watching and that it's a big deal."

On adapting to the speed of the game:

"The first couple of shifts, I think everyone was just getting used to the level of play. After that, everyone got used to it and the speed picked up even more. It just kept on getting faster and faster."

On playing a regular USHL game the night after the Prospects game;

"It was our first regular season game, so you've got to get that tired out of your head. I think I played well and I've got legs for the next two (games in succeeding nights.)

On the 2015 NHL draft:

"The (NHL Central Scouting Service) rankings came out, but rankings pretty much don't mean anything. You just need to keep going. It's quite a few months away, so you got to play from September to the spring. It's all about hard work."

On his Michigan commitment:

"I'm extremely happy about it. I'm already ready to go. I really wanted to play at Michigan. It'll be a dream come true when I get there."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT