ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh vs. Colin Cowherd

bone doc

Letterman
Jun 7, 2006
Dearborn MI
Did anyone hear Colin Cowherd's interview w/ Jim-Bo this AM? I missed it but it sounds like it didn't go so well. This can't be from his official Twitter account, right?

NEIYpGL.jpg

Listen courtesy of WMGC – Detroit Sports 1051

Last edited:
This was all on Harbaugh. Cowherd can be a jerk, but this was not one of those times. Harbaugh sounded hungover from a tequila binge. Colin was tossing him softballs to help sell the program and Jim totally blew it.

Reactions: huskernation77
I am one of Harbaugh's biggest fans, and I couldn't have been more uncomfortable listening to that. Wow, and if that is Harbaugh's actual Twitter account, his public perception just went from bad to worse. Considering he agreed to go on, he couldn't have possibly looked like a bigger dork.

I predict that Twitter statement disappears real fast.

Keep in mind we just suffered through 7 years of Bo Pelini, so we know embarrassing behavior :)

I am a huge Harbaugh fan though, wanted him for our coach at one time. You know, before that interview.

Reactions: RobBliz
So the TL;DR version ---- Harbaugh acted rather like Bill Belichick or Gregg Popovich.

If Harbaugh wins, all will be fine. If Harbaugh doesn't win, he'll have problems.

Winning --- that is all that will ultimately matter, not how he treats the media.

Unfortunately, the tweet appears to be from the parody account @AngryHarbaugh49.

No, it's not. Compare the jpeg of the original tweet above with the parody account and the official account that I linked above. Note the both the handles and the official @..... account name that can't be changed. Eventually, you're going to have to admit that Jimmy rage-tweeted it before he (or his handlers) deleted it.

He made Hoke sound like a scholar in comparison! That was most uncomfortable to listen too. Too many concussions?

I only listened to the first couple of answers and it was uncomfortable. Coach Harbaugh must have not been in a very good mood. If you don't like a guy then don't go on his show.

I had a prospect call me about an hour ago. I was polite and nice but knew it wasn't going to result in $$$. Professionalism. Sometimes you can be tired but you have to be able to work through things...grind away. I can't imagine what the remaining part of the interview was like...dang. On national radio coach.

You made a boo boo. Shouldn't have been on the phone. Some guys like constant radio/tv stuff....you are moody sometimes but go to know when to be moody in the right situations.

Reality Man

Got to say - if you don't want to do an interview- don't go on someone's show. No one will know the difference.
Everyone in the sports world knows Cowherd's style - and quite frankly- his questions were extremely basic in this instance. There were not odd questions- very basic stuff for any coach.

Harbaugh is a strange guy sometimes - but this was just odd.

He did not have to do the interview. You coach has done some pretty good things so far. I don't see why he had to make a fool of himself. It is not like Cowherd is a hater or anything like that.(although he is a douche)

He made Hoke sound like a scholar in comparison! That was most uncomfortable to listen too. Too many concussions?

I am a Texas Longhorn fan and I actually liked Harbaugh but that was perhaps the worst interview I've ever heard. He had a great platform to sell his program nationally. I don't understand it. If you agree to take the millions of dollars and you agree to do the job then you've got to put up with the sports journalists, even if you think they are idiots.

Seriously, I got the impression that Jim is a little "off," mentally.

Wow.

So the TL;DR version ---- Harbaugh acted rather like Bill Belichick or Gregg Popovich.

If Harbaugh wins, all will be fine. If Harbaugh doesn't win, he'll have problems.

Winning --- that is all that will ultimately matter, not how he treats the media.
The difference is Pop and Belichick take on this persona during mandatory press conferences and sideline interviews. No one forced Harbaugh to go on Cowherd's show. If he didn't want to sell the program on national radio, then he should have declined the interview.

The difference is Pop and Belichick take on this persona during mandatory press conferences and sideline interviews. No one forced Harbaugh to go on Cowherd's show. If he didn't want to sell the program on national radio, then he should have declined the interview.

Belichick called a press conference back last January for the sole purpose of talking down to folk, about how he knew more about science and Boyle's Law and PSI versus everybody else. That interview was absolutely hilarious.

Anyway, for God knows what reason, Harbaugh thought it was in his best interest to act totally disinterested during today's interview. Fair enough. It's only a story because it's a sleepy Wednesday in the middle of the summer, with college football still many many weeks off. What else to talk about? Tennis?

And in one respect --- people are talking about Harbaugh and Michigan on this sleepy summer Wednesday. If one believes "there's no such thing as bad PR, it's all good PR", today's a win for Harbaugh/Michigan.

Does Jimmah have a touch of the downs? Serious question.....
Seriously from a State fan ? When is the last time Dantonio smiled or even looked remotely happy. Check out YouTube and his presser after you almost lost to EMU a few years back. Guy is the ultimate grumpy ole jagoff. " Next question " !

Seriously from a State fan ? When is the last time Dantonio smiled or even looked remotely happy. Check out YouTube and his presser after you almost lost to EMU a few years back. Guy is the ultimate grumpy ole jagoff. " Next question " !

He looked happy in January 2014 after beating Stanford in the Rose Bowl and then he looked happy again in January 2015 after beating Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. Other than that I've seen him happy at least 11 times four out of the last five years.

Reactions: roaringfork green
I've been saying two thing all along because of Harbaugh's personality;
1. He will be considered either an eccentric genius, or weird and difficult, depending on his level of success at Michigan.
2. His personality will attract some prospects, and deter others.

If he wins and he attracts more top prospects than he deters he will be fine. If he doesn't, like any coach, his time will be limited.

He looked happy in January 2014 after beating Stanford in the Rose Bowl and then he looked happy again in January 2015 after beating Baylor in the Cotton Bowl. Other than that I've seen him happy at least 11 times four out of the last five years.
Every other time he looks like "Walter". And stop deflecting - Dantonio is an asshat of Biblical proportions.

No, it's not. Compare the jpeg of the original tweet above with the parody account and the official account that I linked above. Note the both the handles and the official @..... account name that can't be changed. Eventually, you're going to have to admit that Jimmy rage-tweeted it before he (or his handlers) deleted it.
You arent smart-----Ever heard of photoshop? It's not that hard.

Yawn. First...and only...time. Likely never again.

Wow. You have no idea what you are even talking about. Yes, it is a fake account. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Lol. Please tell me someone hacked into your account and wrote this. If not well I'm not even sure what to say.

Man, that horrible interview sure screwed up recruiting for us.

The interview certainly didn't help, but damage was minimal if there was any at all. It did showcase Harbaugh's personality. Some will see his personality as a plus, some will see it as a negative. You get that with anyone who has a strong personality one way or another.

My post was facetious . Truth is, most of us don't care since he's doing a pretty nice job on the recruiting front and I find it interesting that some comments are with Cowherd considering almost everyone considers him a tool.

Whatever.

The season can't get here soon enough.

Why does Harbaugh play the D*CK role so often? He just loves being a douche.
You guys are idiots if you really think he tweeted that. It's a fake tweet. His account has been verified for a long time, notice how that little blue check mark next to his name isn't there? It's a poor photoshop job by somebody who missed a key part of his profile.

The interview certainly didn't help, but damage was minimal if there was any at all. It did showcase Harbaugh's personality. Some will see his personality as a plus, some will see it as a negative. You get that with anyone who has a strong personality one way or another.
Agreed. It was an awkward interview and Jim is NOT a BSer like the Caliparis and Pitinos of the world. He's a straight shooter who doesn't blow smoke in interviews, unless it's something he really wants to talk about, like an old Bo story, or something about his family. Not those stupid bye/buy questions or telling Cowherd when he's not intense. Cowherd asked lazy questions and wants his guests to do most of the talking, and Harbaugh isn't the most talkative guy. The day after the interview Cowherd said he got emails from a bunch of people who know Harbaugh and they basically all said "yeah, that's just the kind of guy he is"

He should have just not done the interview, but this didn't hurt anything. I'd be willing to bet that zero of his potential recruits were listening to sports talk radio in the middle of the day in the summer, he would have been selling the program to a bunch of middle aged dudes who listen at work.

And this is the same Cowherd that slammed the Michigan fanbase and called them "Kooky Madooky" and delusional for thinking they'd ever land Harbaugh as their coach.

Agreed. It was an awkward interview and Jim is NOT a BSer like the Caliparis and Pitinos of the world. He's a straight shooter who doesn't blow smoke in interviews, unless it's something he really wants to talk about, like an old Bo story, or something about his family. Not those stupid bye/buy questions or telling Cowherd when he's not intense. Cowherd asked lazy questions and wants his guests to do most of the talking, and Harbaugh isn't the most talkative guy. The day after the interview Cowherd said he got emails from a bunch of people who know Harbaugh and they basically all said "yeah, that's just the kind of guy he is"

He should have just not done the interview, but this didn't hurt anything. I'd be willing to bet that zero of his potential recruits were listening to sports talk radio in the middle of the day in the summer, he would have been selling the program to a bunch of middle aged dudes who listen at work.

And this is the same Cowherd that slammed the Michigan fanbase and called them "Kooky Madooky" and delusional for thinking they'd ever land Harbaugh as their coach.

I thought Cowherd was also saying the B1G was a "bye" meaning an easy win. It's a weird question in the context of football.

Regardless of questions, it was an uncomfortable interview. This isn't a Harbaugh strong point, but that won't affect wins or losses or really anything.

I thought Cowherd was also saying the B1G was a "bye" meaning an easy win. It's a weird question in the context of football.

Regardless of questions, it was an uncomfortable interview. This isn't a Harbaugh strong point, but that won't affect wins or losses or really anything.
It was absolutely uncomfortable, and Jim essentially gave lazy answers to lazy questions. Like I said, he probably just shouldn't have done the interview, but Cowherd had apparently never seen a JH presser before.

Also, one thing that doesn't get mentioned about this is that Jim almost always has long pauses in the middle his answers. Sometimes while forming a thought he stops talking and in a presser, you can tell. On radio, you can't, and I think Cowherd (unintentionally) cut him off a few times because he didn't know that. Cowherd likely didn't want any dead air space, and a few times Jim was probably cut off mid-answer.

But the bottom line is it has zero effect on the program, and any recruit who actually meets Harbaugh knows that that's not his personality when conversing in a non-interview setting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT