ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ITF HOOPS EXTRA: Recruiting Tidbits, Beilein's Next Move and More ...

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
we're already heading toward the end of July, and what a strange summer it's been. Normally we'd be watching AAU ball, seeing rising stars get offers, etc. — instead it's hard just to get kids on the phone and figure out what's what.

We have made some calls, however, and picked up some tidbits. Starting with four-star Jalen Warley, the point guard out of Norristown (Pa.) Westtown School ...

Warley is the No. 1 point guard on the Wolverines' board, and his family's ties to Phil Martelli give U-M more than a fighting chance. Rivals.com's Eric Bossi recently put a futurecast in for Warley to Virginia ... and CORRECTION: it WAS a mistake. It showed up at 4 a.m. when Bossi was sleeping.

This one's not over. Michigan is pushing hard, and Oregon is also in the picture. It's those three, in fact, and there's still plenty of hope here.

If U-M doesn't land him and four-star Virginian Angelo Brizzi, apparently headed to Villanova, Michigan could well offer Frankie Collins of Henderson (Nev.). He's waiting on an offer and put the Wolverines in his top eight anyway — however, he's been to four different high schools in four years and there are questions about the transcripts and eligibility (if it gets that far).

Brewster Academy (N.H.) point guard Carter Whitt, too, is on the radar. He's No. 62 nationally. Boston College, Clemson, Indiana, Louisville, Iowa State, NC State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and several others have offered.

"When I speak with coaches and others whose opinions I value, they are a bit split on Whitt," Rivals.com's Eric Bossi said. "I know they love him in North Carolina, and many there feel we have him way under-ranked. Some time to lock in on him playing with Team Thad against the nation's best would have been great to help solidify an opinion about him. He's got some flash to him and he doesn't mind talking some trash, so he's he fun to watch, too."

Michigan is currently "kicking the tires" on Whitt and Collins. Warley is the big fish, and they're all in.

We caught up with Jett Howard today for an article, and he made it clear he's open to being recruited. That said ... he also let it slip a few times how much he loves the thought of playing for his dad, Juwan.

"It's looking really good," he said without provocation. He also said, "my dad wants me to play the two ... I mean, if I go to Michigan."

We really like U-M's chances here, of course. Having his brother Jace (a frosh) in Ann Arbor doesn't hurt, either.

"Man, I miss that guy," Jett admitted with a laugh.

The two were very competitive against each other, but they're also great friends.

Juwan Howard has accomplished a lot in his life, but his kids are up there as his greatest gifts. Both are first class, mature beyond their years and just great kids.

Finally, there's been plenty of speculation on what John Beilein will do next. Some wonder if he'll coach again if another DI job opens up ... maybe he'd go smaller school to stay local so he wouldn't have to move.

We doubt he coaches again, and it certainly won't be this year. Beilein will be working for the Big Ten Network after doing some TV with them earlier this year (and doing it well), and his role will be expanded. In fact, he'll be doing the film segments the way Urban Meyer does for Big Ten Football on the network, breaking down the aspects of different teams and what makes them so successful, etc.

That role seems perfect for him. It also gives him plenty of time to spend up north at his cottage, something he wasn't able to do but a few days a year when he was a collegiate head coach.

As of now, we expect Beilein to continue in this role and always have a home in Michigan.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News