ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: The Very Latest On Dillon Tatum

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Four-star West Bloomfield (Mich.) High defensive back Dillon Tatum was set to make a commitment last month but pushed it back due to his commitment video production. Now, Tatum may push things back even further. With Mo Linguist leaving Michigan for Buffalo, Tatum has become concerned with stability surrounding the Michigan staff. Tatum really wants to see who the Wolverines bring in before he pulls the trigger. Tatum told me his goal is to make a decision this month, but he did admit that waiting until June is a possibility so he can meet with coaches at both Michigan and Michigan State face-to-face. Tatum recently made a low key trip to Ann Arbor and also attended MSU's spring game.

*** Tatum obviously has a strong bond with new Michigan safeties coach Ron Bellamy, who coached him at West Bloomfield. Bellamy's message has been pretty simple — stay the course and things are going to work out. Tatum really likes what Michigan has to offer on and off the field and trusts Bellamy, but he did admit that it's hard to trust Michigan as a whole right now with so many changes. Remember, Tatum is being recruited as more of a safety, and the Wolverines have had four safeties coaches in less than a year and obviously just lost Linguist, who was playing a role in his recruittment.

*** The leading candidate to fill Linguist's spot is Kentucky's Steve Clinkscale. If hired, he wouldn't have much of an impact on Tatum. I won't go into too much detail, but Tatum doesn't really have a great relationship with Clinkscale. I point blank asked Tatum who he would want Michigan to hire, and he told me he didn't know. He just wants someone that he trusts is committed to stay at Michigan and someone that really likes his game and will give him a fair shot overall.

*** Honestly, I think Michigan State has the edge with Tatum right now. I'm not changing my pick from Michigan at this time because there are a lot of moving parts here and obvious ties to U-M. Still, I'm more concerned about MSU than I've ever been. Mel Tucker has been doing a tremendous job of recruiting Tatum and has been more personally involved than U-M's Jim Harbaugh. Tatum loves Tucker's personality as well as his track record with defensive backs. Tatum mentioned the fact that Tucker played defensive back in the NFL and coached the position in the league and at top schools. Tatum also made it a point to say he believes MSU secondary coach Harlon Barnett is in it for the long haul at MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News