ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: Numbers, Buzz On Every Remaining 2021 Target

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan is up to 21 commits in the 2021 recruiting class. Right now, I'm expecting the number to be 25 based on talking to sources close to the program. That number could obviously go up due to attrition, transfers, etc. but overall, I don't think this class will get that much bigger. With a decision looming for three-star running back Tavierre Dunlap, I expect Michigan to have 22 guys onboard soon. I recently put in a FutureCast in favor of the Wolverines and feel extremely confident in that pick. So what's left on the board?

*** Offensively, the focus will solely be on Rivals100 running back Donovan Edwards. From talking to a source today, there is no different feeling around the Michigan program. The staff is continuing to talk to him on a weekly basis, and conversations have gone well. Obviously, Georgia and Oklahoma are huge threats, which makes taking Dunlap a good idea. But overall, I don't feel less confident with Edwards. I've had my pick in for a while and have no reason to change it. In fact, if Edwards were to commit today, I would be surprised if it weren't Michigan.

*** Aside from Edwards, Michigan could potentially look at taking another offensive lineman. There are a couple of guys that Michigan is tracking, but no names are worth reporting right now. Drew Kendall remains uncommitted, but again, I don't think the pick will be Michigan. I actually heard today that Kendall may spurn BC and go to Stanford. That recruitment has turned into a circus.

*** Along the defensive line, George Rooks and Rayshaun Benny remain top priorities. Both are quiet by nature but are keeping in contact with the staff on a regular basis. Rooks is closer to making a decision than Benny is, but nothing would surprise with either. By the way, I checked in with Benny today. He's still taking things slow and is more focused on rehabbing a minor knee injury. He won't begin playing with his team until mid-October.

*** Michigan is done at linebacker. The biggest question mark is the secondary. Let's start off with cornerback recruiting. Ceyair Wright remains at the top of the board, but I'm still not feeling too optimistic. I checked in with Wright, and he told me he plans to have another convo with Jim Harbaugh soon, so we'll see if anything changes. Michigan is still building a relationship with new corner target Kamari Lassiter, but I'm not confident there either. Notre Dame commit Phillip Riley was brought up elsewhere, but I'm told there is nothing there. Michigan does like Florida State commit Omarion Cooper. He's one to watch, but like the others, I'm not too optimistic. Overall, Michigan could just opt to wait until 2022 and just take Ja'Den McBurrows if others don't pop up.

*** Safety is just as interesting. I was very optimistic about Michigan's chances with Daymon David. The Wolverines have gone all in on that recruitment, and I felt like things were trending the right way. Oregon, however, has become a huge threat in recent weeks. If Michigan can't close with David, there aren't a lot of targets behind him. Titus Mokiao-Atimalala is still a guy, but not a lot of confidence there. I've mentioned Notre Dame commit Justin Walters in the past, but again there isn't a lot there at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News