ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: More Portal Defensive Linemen, Ceyair Wright

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan is targeting another defensive lineman in the NCAA transfer portal. This time it's Illinois defensive end Owen Carney. The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder earned second team All-Big Ten honors as a senior this season. Over the course of his career at Illinois, Carney notched 68 tackles, including 11.5 for loss, and 8.5 sacks. Expect Michigan defensive line coach Shaun Nua to be in constant constant contact here. As mentioned earlier this week, Nua is already working on Penn State defensive tackle transfer Antonio Shelton.

*** Another defensive lineman that just entered the portal that Michigan is already tracking is USC defensive end Connor Murphy. Michigan recruited Murphy out of high school and hosted him for an official visit before he ultimately sided with the Trojans. Nua is expected to have dialogue with Murphy very, very soon. Murphy is a graduate transfer and will have one year of eligibility remaining. He recorded 18 tackles and one sack during his time in Los Angeles.

*** I haven't written much about Rivals100 Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola cornerback Ceyair Wright since my update with him a couple of weeks ago. And that's mostly because there just hasn't been a lot of positive moment, and I've always told y'all I'm not in the business of selling false hope. Look, Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh and cornerbacks coach Michael Zordich are still working hard on Wright leading up to his decision this weekend. Could the Wolverines pull a surprise? I wouldn't rule it out. But I still think Michigan is running third here. I'll have more on Wright in tonight's Blue Chips.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News