ADVERTISEMENT

Is John Beilein the best at turning lowly recruits into lottery picks?

Hard to argue with this article - we are so lucky to have landed Beilein. Maybe he can coach football where we have the exact opposite problem :)

The article could actually be called...Is John Beilein a better

talent evaluator than the so called recruiting experts?

I think John Beilein makes recruiting experts look stupid the same way Dantonio makes recruiting rankings look silly.

Just goes to show you (as I have said) that the difference between a low 4 star in football to a high 3 star is insignificant. Maybe the difference between some guy ranked in the top 50 vs. top 100 is also insignificant.

Here is what I believe. As long as John Beilein gets a somewhat talented player then he will be an effective coach in the Big Ten. Not claiming he can get guys like MAAR and turn them into All Big Ten caliber players but guys more like Donnal and Doyle then he should be okay.

I think the key going forward is for JB to not necessarily get all Irvin or GR3 type recruits or MAAR level but somewhere in between (75-150) and UM should be competitive in the Big Ten. Getting a Morgan/Horford type level recruit isn't consistently going to cut the mustard. Here and there fine.

Here is how I would like JB to consistently recruit each year. Assume 1 of these guys leave early after 2-3 years.

1 top 50
1 top 100
1 top 150
1 flyer

Reality Man

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT