ADVERTISEMENT

INSIDE THE FORT: September 7

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
The latest edition of INSIDE THE FORT, including plenty of behind the scenes football, recruiting and basketball information.

Starting this week with football …

Well, the Notre Dame game didn’t go exactly as hoped or planned, and much of it was a direct result of offensive line play. But those guys weren’t the only ones who didn’t perform to expectations, and the biggest disappointment to some who watch this closely every day was how some of the veterans who have been so good in practice this fall simply didn’t make some of the basic plays needed to win a game like that.

“Notre Dame won 95 percent of the 50-50 plays,” one close to it noted. “Those are plays a visiting team has to make in that stadium in order to win a game like that.”

The mental errors, too — including on the first third down of the game, one that could have set the tone for the game — were head scratchers. That’s a mistake made by a veteran corner than just hasn’t happened, and defies explanation.

Tight ends left three plays on the field, a couple that would have been tough but that “they expect a Michigan tight end to make.”

And, of course, the mental mistakes up front — that was probably the area in which the game was lost. Advanced analytics indicated the Wolverines should have had a better fate, and likely would have with some better offensive line play. Statistics are for losers, of course, especially in a losing effort, but there were plays to be made, and few would dispute that Notre Dame’s offensive efficiency came on plays U-M defenders would normally make.

That’s not meant to make anyone feel better. But at least the defensive mistakes are expected to be easily correctable.

They’ll continue to experiment with different lineups up front in practice and try to prepare the young guys for battle, too. Redshirt freshman James Hudson got a lot of run with the ones in practice recently (Jon Ruynan Jr. was still there on the left side, at least on one day). They are not committed to any one lineup … they are committed to winning. Developing continuity is huge when it comes to line play, communication, etc., but that’s one thing that was especially lacking Saturday.

The other, according to a few who have played the position at a very high level — basic, Football 101 stuff that just can’t happen.

“There was one ‘tell’ on an early play that any offensive lineman should have seen, and it was where the safety lined up on a particular play,” one said. “That should have told him exactly what was coming, but he didn’t play it right, and it blew it up.”

It’s not the coaching that’s lacking here, according to those who have seen practice. First-year line coach Ed Warinner is “all over it,” one said, and preaches it over and over (and over and over).

“He’s a great teacher and as good as advertised,” our guy said.

For some reason, however, it didn’t translate in game one. Credit Notre Dame’s athletic front, of course, but again, there were basic stunts and twists that weren’t picked up that had nothing to do with a lack of athleticism.

“They aren’t seeing what’s in front of them,” our other source said. “It’s an inability to read pre-snap keys in front of them that’s doing them in … they can’t tell what’s about to happen.

“They don’t seem to have a grasp of what’s coming; like, ‘it’s a passing down,’ so be prepared for this, or where the ball is on the field. What does the defense look like in front of me? Every defense has a contain man, but sometimes it’s not the defensive end. They still seem to be stuck on blocking one guy.”

The defensive line, meanwhile, is banged up, especially on the interior (where they can least afford it). One of last week’s starters didn’t practice all week. Another who was a projected starter in the spring will likely have a procedure on his knee and be out for some time.

Redshirt sophomore Michael Dwumfour will be asked to step it up after struggling in last week’s game. He’s got the ability, but those expecting him to be ‘the next Maurice Hurst Jr.’ — well, Hurst was a once in a decade talent in terms of getting off the ball. That wasn’t realistic.

But Dwumfour can play better, and he’ll likely have to Saturday. He’s going to play a lot.

To football recruiting now …

Oakley (Calif.) Freedom three-star running back Giles Jackson is one of Michigan’s few remaining priorities in the 2019 class, checking in at No. 8 on Brandon Brown’s latest Sweet 16 board.

He has been high on Michigan for a while, and explained why he’s not worried at all about the program after its loss at Notre Dame last week.

“I watched some of it, but fell asleep,” he laughed. “It was a good game in the beginning, and then they started picking it up again toward the end. Michigan played a good team, though, so it’s not worrisome at all.

“They’re still very high on my list. I actually talk to them every day, and only talk to other schools once every few days. I like how they constantly stay in contact, so that’s a big key for me. It makes me feel like I’m a priority for them.

“I speak with Coach Jim Harbaugh the most of anyone on their staff. He tells me how much he wants me and how they could use me in their offense — basically as a slot guy.

“When they played Notre Dame, I noticed they used two tight ends a lot in their spread packages, but they want me to be a guy they can get the ball to in space, and also in the return game. I discuss things outside of football with him too.

“Coach [Jim] McElwain is another guy on their staff I talk to a lot. He wants to use me in the slot as well, and just get me the ball in a variety of packages.

“I really like that idea, because that’s what I do in high school — I play running back, receiver and return kicks.”

Jackson admitted he doesn’t have a decision date in mind, but does plan on visiting Michigan Oct. 13 for its game against Wisconsin.

“I can’t wait to see how the Big House actually is, because I’ve heard a lot of stories about it, but I want to get a feel for it myself,” he said.

“I’m just going to go to a school where I feel most comfortable, and where I think I can make an immediate impact.

“Cal, Oregon, Oregon State and USC are kind of my other top schools right now.”

Akron (Ohio) Hoban four-star offensive guard and Michigan commit Nolan Rumler has been committed to the Wolverines for a long time, and that is not going to change. The No. 7 offensive guard and No. 118 overall prospect nationally is laser focused as a senior and is working hard to bring home another state title.

Rumler’s father is very proud of his son and sees a ton of drive and high-level playing out of his son and is excited for the rest of his final high school season.

“He’s playing at 315 pounds and he’s playing strong,” the elder Rumler said. “He had two good wins to start the season and he’s playing all over the line. It’s been fun.”

Nolan even got rid of his Twitter account in order to remain focused and keep everything about Michigan.

“Recruiting is over for him,” Todd Rumler said. “He is looking to signing day. He is not talking to any other coaches and has not been for a while. He’s just concentrating on a fourth state title.”

Recruiting may be over for Rumler personally, but he’s still out on the trail trying to bring other talented players to Ann Arbor. He specifically mentioned Lewis Center (Ohio) Olentangy Orange five-star strongside defensive end Zach Harrison and Crystal Lake (Ill.) Crystal Lake South four-star offensive tackle Trevor Keegan as two guys he’s actively recruiting.

Harrison and Keegan, along with Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington five-star safety Daxton Hill, make up Michigan’s top three overall targets.

Rumler and Hoban are poised to bring home the hardware again but will face a tough test against Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne tonight on the road. Wayne produces a lot of talent and has sent players like Blue Smith, Messiah deWeaver, Tyree Kinnel, Braxton Miller and Terry and Terrence Talbott to the college ranks.

Michigan is hosting two official visitors this weekend, and both are committed to other programs. Round Rock (Texas) Cedar Ridge three-star wide receiver Jaylen Ellis has been committed to Baylor since June of last year and Boca Raton (Fla.) American Heritage four-star weakside defensive end Michael Morris has been a Florida State pledge since February of 2016. Obviously each prospect has been a member of their respective class for a while, but that could be changing this weekend.

Morris had been looking at potentially flipping this weekend for a long time but he’s not putting a guarantee on it. The 6-5, 240-pounder is very excited about checking out Ann Arbor for a game but isn’t going to make any hasty decisions.

“I’m just trying to go up there, have some fun, see the coaches and finally watch a Michigan game in person,” Morris said.

When asked if Michigan fans and members of the media should be prepared for a commitment, he laughed and played it coy by saying, “We’ll see how it goes.”

Ellis played things even closer to the vest. When the 6-0, 186-pounder was asked if he should be considered to be on commit watch this weekend, he simply replied with the “thinking face” emoji.

Neither Ellis nor Morris admitted that they’d be flipping this weekend but the fact that they’re entertaining the idea and are both willing to talk about it to a degree means that it’s at least on their minds. Sometimes when covering recruiting, it’s just as much about what recruits won’t say.

If prospects clam up about Michigan, that’s usually pretty telling. Neither Morris nor Ellis are clamming up, and with a 48-hour stay in Ann Arbor on the horizon for both, there could be some fireworks this weekend.

Finishing with basketball and recruiting now, starting with the latter …

Michigan is hosting a number of 2020 visitors in the next several weeks for football games (and 2021, as well). Pledge Jalen Wilson is in for his official visit this weekend, and we’ll have a list of others who will join him.

Two we expect to get offers on their upcoming official visits — Minnesota four-star forward Ben Carlson and Pennsylvania four-star guard Ethan Morton.

Both Carlson and Morton fit Michigan’s system perfectly, and both are great students and athletes. Carlson will be in two weekends from now for the Nebraska game, while Morton will be in Oct. 19. Stanford is high on both of their lists, and other great academic schools like Northwestern and Purdue are also on their lists.

We’ll have write-ups with these recruits after their visits (and possibly before).

Head coach John Beilein’s health continues to improve. He’s hit the physical therapy with … well, an enthusiasm unknown to mankind and will be back to full strength in no time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News