ADVERTISEMENT

In the spirit of another post discussing what was learned about

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
this team in Italy...I had some very different perspectives that what I read although I will stick to the ones that are different.

I can't translate this team against D-1 competition but I can look at the player in the context of this team.

1. Doyle is a bigger and more diverse player than Donnal. He has a better low post game which is needed with the perimeter team on the floor that has been assembled by JB and staff.

2. UM looks to have anywhere between 2-3 ball handlers on the floor at the same time this coming season.

Walton and Levert
or
Albrecht and MAAR

throw in Chatman.

Sure looks like unlike Burke and THJ, Burke and Stauskas, Walton and Stauskas...this team should be able to get to the rack.

3. Chatman has forward size but a guard handle. I had heard he could play up on top but the guy loves to slash to the hoop.

4. Dawkins should be a fine replacement for Irvin. Beautiful looking shot. Probably going to worked on the defensive side.

5. MAAR isn't going to be able to slash nearly as much during the season since teams will just lay off him.

6. I saw two sets of teams on most of those highlights. I see team 1...

Walton, Levert, Irvin, Chatman, Doyle logging 25-30 minutes per game.

I then see team 2 running and gunning

Albrecht, MAAR, Dawkins, Donnal and then some combo of Irvin-LeVert-Wilson.

7. This team looks like they can legitimately go 9 deep without hurting the team since this team can outscore their opponents and on any given night someone can be hot. Its the JB way.

8. LeVert and Irvin look athletic and talented enough to get their shots anytime. They will rotate on who is the leading scorer night in and night out. One of them will be the leading scorer 95% of the time.

Reality Man

Nice post, I don't post on the free board much but

Have been really high on Doyle for years, and vocal about it in the Fort.

He does so many things "right", that even if his athleticism isn't off the charts, positioning and ability to finish with both hands will make him a very strong 4 yr player. Think of how few post scorers there are in basketball at the college level. There just aren't more than a handful each year.

Players looked confused trying to guard a guy like Nix a few years back. When Doyle gets positioning, he will be a SOB to guard. Now, he is a freshman, so it may not be immediate. But his body has completely transformed, and will continue to.

Caris looks physically I recognizable to when he came to UM.

Zak has no fear. He will be so fun to watch. I love scorers, especially those that want to score all day. Watch that video on UM hoops from Italy. His very first play just cracks me up.

Excited to see more of Chatman, Maar and Dawkins. I still think Wilson could use a redshirt. I think he is the odd man out this year, and a redshirt is way easier mentally than not playing much. Don't see him as more than a 5-8 minute guy.

Didn't see enough Donnal yet to gauge. But having the 5 locked down for the next 4 years allows Teske to mature at a proper pace when he arrives too.

Can't wait to give Austin Hatch a standing ovation at the first exhibition.

Oh, and Walton looks super confident.

Man this is a fun time

Go Blue

Don't buy Wilson redshirting. He is the only defensive-minded player UM has in the frontcourt.Rebounding and positional defense only thing stopping him from getting tons of minutes.

At the 3/4:

SF/PF-Zak Irvin (Sophomore) Gives us a shooter and a positional defender. I see 5 mpg at the 4 and 30 mpg at the 3.

SF/PF-Kam Chatman (Freshman) Gives ballhandling, passing and rebounding at the 4 spot. I see 30 mpg at the 4.

SF/PF-Aubrey Dawkins (Freshman) Transition athlete and shooter. I see 10 mpg at the 3.

PF/C-DJ Wilson (Freshman) PnP, PnR, Transition athlete and shot blocker. Will be key in the 1-3-1. I see 5 mpg at the 4.

At the 5:

PF/C-Mark Donnal (RS Freshman) PnP and Transition athlete. I see 20 mpg at the 5.

C- Ricky Doyle (Freshman) Post scorer, PnR guy and rebounder. I see 15 mpg at the 5.

PF/C-DJ Wilson (Freshman) PnP, PnR, Transition athlete and shot blocker. Will be key in the 1-3-1. I see 5 mpg at the 5.

This post was edited on 8/25 8:36 PM by guestavo

This post was edited on 8/25 8:40 PM by guestavo

I understand your point about Wilson...I personally wouldn't redshirt

him because I think this team may be able to make some noise and I think he gives UM some more firepower. Who knows...I need to see him but he is rail thin. I think the odds they redshirt him in all honesty.

Interesting how you have Donnal with more minutes at the 5. I would switch it. The only concern I have with this team right now is at the #4 spot because who do you plug in? Irvin? I like Irvin but not there at all. I would recommend JB moving Donnal or Wilson over to that spot.

Love the input.

Reality Man

Donnal can't guard the 4 and I'm not buying Doyle just because of Italy.

Wilson is atleast 220 lbs btw. Can't RS your only shot blocker.

Why wouldn't Donnal be able to guard another #4 in the BT?...

How many BT teams take their #4 out to the perimeter?

Reality Man

Donnal isn't guarding a Keita Bates-Diop, Marc Loving, Brandon Dawson, Sam Dekker, Malcolm Hill, etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT