ADVERTISEMENT

In order to Win a National Championship

chuckwoodson#2

All-League
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2010
Michigan
A team must have ELITE Guard play. I have MSU far in 1 bracket but I have reservations because compared to these Guards below that have won a national title does Cassius Winston and Josh Langford match-up? So far i dont see it, unless they both up their game and play at a level I havent seen yet, then as it stands they are no where close to these players below.

2017 - UNC - Joel Berry (AA), as well as pinson and Justin Jackson (AA).

2016 - Villanova- Jalen Brunson, Josh Hart (1st team AA) Ryan Arcidiacono.

2015 - Duke - Quinn Cook, Tyus Jones, justise Winslow and Greyson Allen

2014 - Uconn - Ryan Boatright (wooden award finalist) and Shabazz Napier (1st Team AA)

2013 - Louisville - Russ Smith (1st team AA) and Peyton Siva (naismith Award winner)
Or Michigan - Trey Burke (AA) and THJ

2012 - Kentucky - Marquis Teague (NBA 1st rd draft pick) Deron Hood (2nd Rnd NBA) Michael Kidd Gilccrist (2nd team AA). Alrhough hes not a Guard, hes a once in a decade type player Anthony Davis.

2011 - Uconn - Kemba Walker (1st team AA), Jeremy Lamb (12 pick in NBA draft) Shabazz Napier

2010 - Duke - Nolan Smith (1st team AA), Jon Scheyer (2nd Team AA) Seth Curry (NBA player)

I could go on and on all the way back to early 2000’s even further, especially the way Todays game is played, more then ever you need Great not good but Great Guard play in order to win a National Title.

So when filling out your bracket on top of having great players like Bridges, Ayton or Bagley, those teams also have to have great Guard play in order to win a title.

There could be that random year where a team wins it without having elite guard play, and they just have great overall talent and great match-ups along the way and they wnd up winning it. However, im going to side with history in filling out my bracket, and history tells me elite guard play is the way to a National Title.

Does Michigan? Arizona? MSU? Duke? I know Nova does along with UNC and Kansas. This year unlike any in recent memory I could see like 6-8 teams winning it. Michigan guards play like they did in the BT tourney we may have a chance.

Go Blue!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News