ADVERTISEMENT

I think...

KevinWerner

Michigan Man
Gold Member
May 11, 2006
(posted this in both of my favorite Michigan "bars") - getting pumped for the season...

- ...we're in a period for Jim Harbaugh analogous to Lloyd Carr's 1997-1999 run. Their respective peak. I doubt Jim is around on the backside of his peak as long as Lloyd was so its even more imperative to ENJOY this stretch.
- ...college football is changing rapidly. Where this thing lands, for better or worse, will be fundamentally different than what us old timers grew up with. For now though, we've got our quarterback and captain from our legendary coach still pushing values on and off the field and a style of/approach to football that set the hook for so many of us so long ago. Again this points to ENJOY!!!. I'm making a point to savor each part of this journey.
=...linebacker is the only position I don't feel we are on an upward trajectory program wide. All other position groups seem to be a deep array of high end talent and ascending towards top tier performance. I'd love to feel the same about linebacker. Its such a critical position.
-...for all the various themes about us not bringing in elite talent or classes our skilled positions right now are as good and as deep as I ever remember them. WR, TE, QB and RB are a complete embarrassment of riches right now. And they are working in concert with the defending offensive line of the year. Enjoy it.
-...Jim lost his way on the chemistry and culture front and found his way home. We didn't see prototypical Jim from 2017-2020...we're seeing it now. Its a bummer he lost his putting stroke on our watch - but its fortunate he found it again.
-...coaches in this form tend to be elevated or reduced based on their recruiting prowess. As a result sometimes we sleep a bit on the blessing of the non flashy recruiters. Mike Hart is that guy right now. He's an exceptional running backs coach and has two exceptional backs. We're in for another treat watching Mike do his thing with these kids. Mike was the most incredible back with regards to not fumbling I had seen at Michigan. Until Hassan - who had 443 snaps of inside running from 2019 - 2021 without a single fumble. No coincidence. Mike was also the most impressive pass blocking back I've seen - despite his obvious disadvantage of size. He's a leader and competitor and he's now coaching two incredibly driven talents. Look the fletch out.
-...we as fans lag behind the reality of now with the baggage of the past. OSU's dominance of us may be over - the votes just haven't been counted yet, so to speak.
Loving following Michigan football right now.

What do YOU think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News