ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Fan Visiting

JohnRossEwing

Letterman
Jul 4, 2013
Hey everyone!

So we have a group of about 8 of us, all guys, that are heading to AA for the Husker game. We wanted to get some advice on what bars to hit up before the game/after the game and how is the tailgating if you don't have a spot? We would not be parking and setting up we would just be walking around.

Lincoln is sort of 50/50 in terms of hitting up the bars or tailgating. It seems like AA is more about the tailgating? Is that accurate?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

I've found if you get there early enough (about 3 hrs) you can find a spot to park on one of the many side streets for free. I would definitely say its more about tailgating here. I can't really speak on the bar scene because i go down the day of and leave straight after the game. Hopefully another poster can help you out with that.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Sorry JR. Wish I could give you some guidance. While I'm a life long true Blue fan my trips to the Big House in the last 10-15 years I can count on 1 hand.
Prior to that we'd get down there once a year. 75% of the time our game plan was always to setup a tailgate at the Pioneer High School across the road from the Big House.....grill & eat....drink a few brews....play some "get motivated" music & talk football.
I've been to Frasers post-game....but that was probably 20 years ago. It was jamming....indoors & outdoors. Have done Scorekeepers pre game, again many many moons ago. Rumor is saying this game may be a night game. If that's the case, I know Scorekeepers has a bunch of giant screens so some early pre-gaming may work there if you're interested in watching some early games.

I'm looking forward to going to this game also. The last 5 years or so when we've went we pull into this 1 guys yard where we can do some light grilling & somewhat low key tailgating. He only has room for about 10-12 cars & he opens up his house bathroom to us "guests"....so that's a major bonus! It's easy in easy out parking which isn't always the case around some of the lots. So that will be our game plan for Sept 22.

I would recommend posting your question on the Rivals College Football free soundoff board. Some M alumni there may be able to help out.

Sorry JR. Wish I could give you some guidance. While I'm a life long true Blue fan my trips to the Big House in the last 10-15 years I can count on 1 hand.
Prior to that we'd get down there once a year. 75% of the time our game plan was always to setup a tailgate at the Pioneer High School across the road from the Big House.....grill & eat....drink a few brews....play some "get motivated" music & talk football.
I've been to Frasers post-game....but that was probably 20 years ago. It was jamming....indoors & outdoors. Have done Scorekeepers pre game, again many many moons ago. Rumor is saying this game may be a night game. If that's the case, I know Scorekeepers has a bunch of giant screens so some early pre-gaming may work there if you're interested in watching some early games.

I'm looking forward to going to this game also. The last 5 years or so when we've went we pull into this 1 guys yard where we can do some light grilling & somewhat low key tailgating. He only has room for about 10-12 cars & he opens up his house bathroom to us "guests"....so that's a major bonus! It's easy in easy out parking which isn't always the case around some of the lots. So that will be our game plan for Sept 22.

I would recommend posting your question on the Rivals College Football free soundoff board. Some M alumni there may be able to help out.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I am sure we will have a good time no matter what we end up doing. There are like 8 of us going and none of us have been to AA for a game.

Reactions: Team Yoder
For strolling various tailgates I'd definitely focus on the Pioneer High School parking lot & the U of M Golf Course. Those are the big areas that are easy to navigate & most likely offer friendly rival tailgating. Easy to spot N flags flying high I would imagine too.

For strolling various tailgates I'd definitely focus on the Pioneer High School parking lot & the U of M Golf Course. Those are the big areas that are easy to navigate & most likely offer friendly rival tailgating. Easy to spot N flags flying high I would imagine too.
Thanks!

Are the bars a big deal before the game? My Iowa friend said that the Iowa bars are not really a big deal for pre-game. Here at Nebraska they are...I was wondering how it is at AA. I think most Big Ten schools have more space and so tailgating is so much bigger than at NU.

Yeah, I'd say bring stuff to park and grill if you can. The parking area southwest (across the street) is Pioneer High School. They have several lots that have tons of folks grilling and drinking. You'll have more fun than trying to get to a bar. Be prepared for a bit of wait to exit, though. 110k people don't just disappear in a matter of minutes :).

Yeah, I'd say bring stuff to park and grill if you can. The parking area southwest (across the street) is Pioneer High School. They have several lots that have tons of folks grilling and drinking. You'll have more fun than trying to get to a bar. Be prepared for a bit of wait to exit, though. 110k people don't just disappear in a matter of minutes :).
Thank you!

Is the tailgating more fun that the bars because the bars are sort of dead for pregame? Or is it just all young college students?

Biggest reason being Bars are not really within walking distance of stadium. Doubt if ubering from the bars to stadium area would make sense. Traffic would be a bear heading into stadium area, even though Fans do arrive early for tailgating.....not SEC early.....but damn early!

Thank you!

Is the tailgating more fun that the bars because the bars are sort of dead for pregame? Or is it just all young college students?

Yeah, like the Doc said, the bars just aren't within walking distance to the stadium and traffic around the stadium (as you can imagine) is jammed. The tailgating scene is pretty awesome, though. Between the High School and the Golf Course (directly south of the stadium and east from the high school), it's just a massive party. As for early, the RV folks arrive the night before usually and regular car traffic starts showing up by 9am for a noon game. The gates to the stadium open an hour prior to kick.

I appreciate guys, thanks! One last thing, anyone know if the bars open early? Here in Lincoln they open by 9am on game days.

Can't wait to make it out there!

Thanks for the tips! I will also be heading up to AA. Any food recommendations while we are there?

Thanks for the tips! I will also be heading up to AA. Any food recommendations while we are there?

Sorry Frosty........not the best message board here for getting local info. I'm sure the pay site is where the good info is at.
I don't frequent AA that often for games & when I do its all about firing up the grill & tailgating so can't really offer much on the food front.
If you enjoy craft beer there are a number of Breweries in downtown that are worthy! Ashley's downtown also has tons of beer options.

Okay...last minute suggestions?

Thanks to all that took the time to answer, I appreciate it.

I really think Fraser's sounds fun and we now have a parking pass for the High School Lot...seems like that play is pretty cool.

Okay...last minute suggestions?

Thanks to all that took the time to answer, I appreciate it.

I really think Fraser's sounds fun and we now have a parking pass for the High School Lot...seems like that play is pretty cool.

Good choice on Pioneer HS lot. I think you'll find a good contingent of Husker fans there, especially the Motor Home groups + "good fans" from the Michigan contingency. I'm assuming you're coming in sometime Friday?

Good choice on Pioneer HS lot. I think you'll find a good contingent of Husker fans there, especially the Motor Home groups + "good fans" from the Michigan contingency. I'm assuming you're coming in sometime Friday?

Thursday and Friday...staying until Sunday.

Reactions: DrCorona
While I know the outcome wasn't at all like you had hoped, I hope the rest of your trip went well JRE. Hopefully you had good Friday night in AA & was treated to a round or 2 from the Maize & Blue gang to help ease the pain Saturday night.
Best of luck the rest of the way!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT