ADVERTISEMENT

How does the portal fix coaching?

pfgthird

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2020
I'm struggling to see how the portal, which seems to be what we're all hanging our hat on as a solution, will work.

Let's start with the defense. It's awful. Raise your hand if you thought we were gonna stop Illinois on 3rd and 12 after we fumbled. Yeah, me neither. We all knew they'd convert. Why? Because our defense is awful.

And how is the portal gonna fix that? Let's say that somehow beyond all odds we were able to get a top 10 draft pick CB, a top 10 draft pick DT, and another 1st round DT in the portal. It wouldn't be enough to fix this shit show of a defense since we already have those guys and it doesn't matter. How many first rounders do we have to find in the portal to overcome the horrendous coordinating of Martindale and the incompetent coaching of Brian Jean-Mary and Lamar Morgan?

Now to offense. Let's say we somehow entice a likely first round QB to UM. And also manage to recruit a true WR1 and WR2. And also manage to find a replacement for Mullings. Why would it matter when it all depends on a line coached by Newsome? A line which will need to find 4 new starters just to reach competence (5 if Hinton leaves)? Who cares who's at QB when he won't last a quarter before getting a concussion from another failed pass block? Why would it matter who the WRs are when they're going to be coached by Bellamy?

Take a hard look at Florida State. Coaching matters. Unless we can find a new OC, DC, O-line coach, WR coach, QB coach, LB coach, and DB coach then it isn't going to matter. And if you unquestionably need to fire that many guys, why even keep the HC? And I say this as a guy who was in favor of Sherrone's hiring.

The portal won't fix what's wrong. We need a new coaching staff.

Reactions: jamieabe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.