ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a nice auto insurance scam that I just became aware of....

TDFever

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2001
that is also totally legal and accepted.

So we bought a new car recently and contacted our agent to update our policy. He sent new docs. I reviewed all the coverages and also noticed that there was a line item for policy changes that listed a driver as being removed from the policy. I contacted my agent and was like "Who the hell is this driver that was previously on my policy?"

What happened was we purchased our house in December from a couple. In March, their daughter was added to our policy without our knowledge. My agent says that the law allows the insurance companies to simply add minors to your policy if they discover that their address is linked to yours. Apparently this is all totally legal and above board because new drivers are such a menace and many parents do not want to insure them either. So somewhere along the line this girl did not update her address--perhaps on her license or whatever--so the company took it upon themselves to throw her on our policy without even notifying us. So that's the first problem. The second problem is that at some point they must have discovered the mistake and quietly took her off of our policy. But, again, nobody offered to refund the premiums that we paid on her for the last 9 months. They just took her off and sorta snuck it in this policy change section for me to discover and have to ask about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News