ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh and Ethics in Recruiting

bamatide13

Letterman
Dec 26, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I just read an article by some dimwit sports writer who was complaining about Harbaugh and ethics in recruiting. What a bunch of BS. If he is not violating a NCAA rule, then just shut your pie hole. He is Saban 10 years younger. Do what it takes to win and the only ones complaining are the people not doing what it takes to get the job done. You should feel good Michigan fans, you probably will win the conference next year and you have a hell of a coach.

Last edited:
I just read an article by some dimwit sports writer who was complaining about Harbaugh and ethics in recruiting. What a bunch of BS. If he is not violating a NCAA rule, then just shut your pie hole. He is Saban 10 years younger. Do what it takes to win and the only ones complaining are the people not doing what it takes to get the job done. You should feel good Michigan fans, you probably will win the conference next year and you have a hell of a coach.

Why do I get the sense that you look like this in real life:

emperor-palpatine.png

There are other lines in the sand, besides what the NCAA allows. Things that folks from Alabama probably know nothing about. Like basic human decency. (And toothpaste.)

And there you have it. Michigan is becoming like Bama. I'm sure many of you think that's a good thing. Though I don't think Bo would approve any more than Woody would approve of what dOSU has become today.

I for one am sad for what has happened. I used to think Michigan was something better than dOSU and I would root for you regularly in your matchups. Frankly, because dOSU was everything that is wrong about college football - win at all costs. Just like most of the SEC.

Well, you guys are going to get better on the field, and I'm sure will finally beat dOSU one of these days. Hope it was worth it for you.

At least you guys aren't cheating academically and covering up felonies like the Buckeyes. Yet. It can be a slippery slope and I hope that at least you draw the line there.

Last edited:
There is a difference between flat out, purposeful cheating and playing hardball to field the best team possible., Ask Sammy Maldanado.

UM will win the right way unlike OSU because Harbsugh does have integrity, even given this bad Swenson situation. I find it hard to believe Fitgerald has never lost his integrity in one moment with one kid in all his years of coaching.

emperor-palpatine.png

There are other lines in the sand, besides what the NCAA allows. Things that folks from Alabama probably know nothing about. Like basic human decency. (And toothpaste.)

And there you have it. Michigan is becoming like Bama. I'm sure many of you think that's a good thing. Though I don't think Bo would approve any more than Woody would approve of what dOSU has become today.

I for one am sad for what has happened. I used to think Michigan was something better than dOSU and I would root for you regularly in your matchups. Frankly, because dOSU was everything that is wrong about college football - win at all costs. Just like most of the SEC.

Well, you guys are going to get better on the field, and I'm sure will finally beat dOSU one of these days. Hope it was worth it for you.

At least you guys aren't cheating academically and covering up felonies like the Buckeyes. Yet. It can be a slippery slope and I hope that at least you draw the line there.

Really?....because a new coaching staff comes in and asks "verbal commit" Swenson repeatedly to come and get evaluated in person to secure his offer and he doesn't so they finally say they're done. I don't care if this kid is 17 or 18, he has a set of parents monitoring his recruitment and should of told him it was in his best interest to do what his future staff asked him to do. That's the type of attitude you do not want if your trying to build a cohesive team. And it is all about the entire team....not just Swenson. Harbaugh and staff have said from the beginning that everyone needs to earn their scholarship and playing time by showing the staff what they can do. Swenson chose not to do this for whatever reason and put his offer in jeaprody. As far as the timing by the staff? My guess is the staff tried to wait as long as they could for Swenson to comply finally said enough is enough and moved on.

There is a difference between flat out, purposeful cheating and playing hardball to field the best team possible., Ask Sammy Maldanado.

UM will win the right way unlike OSU because Harbsugh does have integrity, even given this bad Swenson situation. I find it hard to believe Fitgerald has never lost his integrity in one moment with one kid in all his years of coaching.

Lol

Fitz never had to because he's never had #1 players in the country and consensus 5 star athletes suddenly interested in Northwestern in January. These are not easy decisions, but it's much easier to stay on your high horse when you don't really have the option of competing with the big boys.

Really?....because a new coaching staff comes in and asks "verbal commit" Swenson repeatedly to come and get evaluated in person to secure his offer and he doesn't so they finally say they're done. I don't care if this kid is 17 or 18, he has a set of parents monitoring his recruitment and should of told him it was in his best interest to do what his future staff asked him to do. That's the type of attitude you do not want if your trying to build a cohesive team. And it is all about the entire team....not just Swenson. Harbaugh and staff have said from the beginning that everyone needs to earn their scholarship and playing time by showing the staff what they can do. Swenson chose not to do this for whatever reason and put his offer in jeaprody. As far as the timing by the staff? My guess is the staff tried to wait as long as they could for Swenson to comply finally said enough is enough and moved on.
Really, kids now need to come to Ann Arbor and try out, wow. I'm counting the days until Michigan gets put on suspension or worse and your "hero" HC leaves for Alabama or Texas.

emperor-palpatine.png

--------------------
What a sad post, I really feel sorry for people like you.

Really, kids now need to come to Ann Arbor and try out, wow. I'm counting the days until Michigan gets put on suspension or worse and your "hero" HC leaves for Alabama or Texas.

This kid committed 3 years ago to a different head coach and staff. So, yes! The kid was obligated to do what the new staff politely asked him to do. He refused. End of the story! Idiots like you deserve your mediocricy!

Are you kind of slow or just not very knowledgeable?......yes a recruit needs to comply with the request of the new staff and work out if he plans on holding on to his offer....especially when the new staff made the stipulation that the offer was contingent on complying with request. Harbaugh has said from the beginning you earn your offer or scholarship by showing what you got....Swenson declined. Sanctions?....get serious...if you had an ounce of football knowledge in that pea brain of your you would realize how foolish you look from your post....congrats....you graduated to the fool on the hill.

Reactions: JRforUM
Awesome first post, Dipshit! Swenson wasn't asked to come in for a "tryout". He was invited and advised to come to a UM summer camp with many dozens of other kids where he could compete & be evaluated by a coaching staff who had never met him, had never seen him play, didn't recruit him & never offered or accepted a scholarship to him. He refused. He was then asked to come in for an official visit. Again he refused. He was then told he would just be evaluated on his senior season performance & film. He loafed through his senior season (by many accounts - opposing coaches & players who played against him) & his performance didn't meet the new staff's (Harbaugh, Drevno, etc.) expectations for a committable offer. They told him as much weeks ago & advised him to look around and take visits elsewhere. Again he refused. Harbaugh then rescinded the UM offer.

Swenson & his family simply refused to believe or accept the reality of his recruitment situation @ UM & snoozed on many opportunities both at UM & elsewhere. You snooze, you lose! Harbaugh & staff don't ever accept snoozing, loafing or dogging anywhere or anytime on their Team. The kid rolled the dice and lost. Too bad for him. He can go loaf his way onto another team where he might actually have a chance to someday loaf his way onto the field.

Go Blue!

Reactions: andysec7
really, 14 maybe 15 years old? willycat you proved how stupid you are, just move on.

Reactions: andysec7

emperor-palpatine.png

38-0. Thanks for your opinions without knowing all the facts.

I tend to believe the HS coach and Swenson. Doesn't look good for UM and I hope this staff learns a lesson because this stuff can become toxic...not too also mention it's not right.

RM

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I tend to believe the HS coach and Swenson. Doesn't look good for UM and I hope this staff learns a lesson because this stuff can become toxic...not too also mention it's not right.

RM
We all know what you "tend to believe" & what your opinion is - you've been stating it here for days ever since the Teddy Greenstein hack-job was written. Unfortunately, what you (and Teddy) "believe" is not supported (as your pretentious moniker proclaims) by 'Reality' or all of the facts of the situation. Sounds like you may be as deaf, blind & ignorant & to 'reality' as Swenson & his camp are/were. How about you, EvanstonCat & Greenstein get a room together & wait to hear both sides of the story before you get on your ethics high horse and claim it such a "toxic" or "Nixonian" atrocity by Harbaugh & staff. Shut up & move along!

Go Blue!

Last edited:
We all know what you "tend to believe" & what your opinion is - you've been stating it here for days ever since the Teddy Greenstein hack-job was written. Unfortunately, what you (and Teddy) "believe" is not supported (as your pretentious moniker proclaims) by 'Reality' or all of the facts of the situation. Sounds like you may be as deaf, blind & ignorant & to 'reality' as Swenson & his camp are/were. How about you, EvanstonCat & Greenstein get a room together & wait to hear both sides of the story before you get on your ethics high horse and claim it such a "toxic" or "Nixonian" atrocity by Harbaugh & staff. Shut up & move along!

Go Blue!
I also think Greenstein's article was tripe, but what about the article I linked? It seems pretty specific and actually quotes Swenson's HS coach. How do you reconcile it with the idea that Michigan did nothing wrong? Not trolling, just asking.

I also think Greenstein's article was tripe, but what about the article I linked? It seems pretty specific and actually quotes Swenson's HS coach. How do you reconcile it with the idea that Michigan did nothing wrong? Not trolling, just asking.
I'm not trying to reconcile anything. In fact, it's not up to me nor any other anonymous message board poster to reconcile anything in this case. I'm simply stating that there are two sides every story & only one side is able to discuss this story at this time. Harbaugh & UM is prohibited by strict & specific NCAA rules from discussing any specific recruiting situation until signing day, Feb 3rd. They're following the rules. What proof do any of us have that the one side that is speaking is speaking the actual truth? Are they more trustworthy than the other side simply because they got their comments & quotes out sooner? We may never know the 'real' truth for the same reason we're only hearing one side right now. My guess is that Harbaugh also won't waste much time (if any at all) discussing any specific recruits other than the ones who sign for UM on Feb 3rd either. In the meantime, I think it's unfair & ignorant to blindly believe the one (vocal) side and vilify the other (silent) side in the Swenson-gate case. It doesn't matter who you are - reporter, columnist, journalist, dude on a street corner, or message board poster - get your facts straight and hear both sides before you blindly speak or write your 'opinions' & proclaim that your "belief" or "opinion" is reality or fact. It's irresponsible at best to do otherwise.

Go Blue!

Maybe Swenson will sign with NW since their fans are so concerned about our coaches ethics and that we are becoming just like OSU and Alabama. I guess they are still seething over the ass kicking they received in AA last fall. Maybe Swenson can prove his ability by blocking Rashan Gary and company the next few years.

So when did the staff politely ask him to do something? Here's a link that seems to drift away from the narrative. Is Swenson's HS coach lying? http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...on_was_told_by.html#incart_river_mobile_index

I believe what Michael Spath said before I will beleive what Greenstien (a Northwestern alumnus) or Nick Baumgardner (a MSU alumnus) have to say! Also, just like Swenson, his coach is also covering for his player as well. According to Michael Spath, coaches asked Swenson to attend their camp and Swenson refused, so it must of been the Spring of '15 when they asked. This would not even be a story if Swenson did what his new coaches asked him to do!

I believe what Michael Spath said before I will beleive what Greenstien (a Northwestern alumnus) or Nick Baumgardner (a MSU alumnus) have to say! Also, just like Swenson, his coach is also covering for his player as well. According to Michael Spath, coaches asked Swenson to attend their camp and Swenson refused, so it must of been the Spring of '15 when they asked. This would not even be a story if Swenson did what his new coaches asked him to do!
We're in agreement that Greenstein's article couldn't be taken seriously. However, Baumgardner's article isn't just based on what he had to say. He quoted Swenson's HS coach while Spath merely cited off the record sources. Either Baumgardner is guilty of outrageous journalistic violations or the Michigan narrative of Swenson's evaluation story is in dire need of explanation.

We're in agreement that Greenstein's article couldn't be taken seriously. However, Baumgardner's article isn't just based on what he had to say. He quoted Swenson's HS coach while Spath merely cited off the record sources. Either Baumgardner is guilty of outrageous journalistic violations or the Michigan narrative of Swenson's evaluation story is in dire need of explanation.

Would you actually expect Swenson's coach to give the WHOLE story when he knows the other side can't respond. Every coach wants to make his player look like
he got the short of the stick when things don't go his way.

Would you actually expect Swenson's coach to give the WHOLE story when he knows the other side can't respond. Every coach wants to make his player look like

Or maybe he's telling the truth, and Jim Harbaugh is a scumbag. And you have just become Ohio State and the SEC schools. Congratulations.

Reactions: CYBERTECMARK
OK, so you're saying that the HS coach is emphatically lying and embellishing his lie with a detailed storyline? That's what you have to mean.

Reactions: CYBERTECMARK
Or maybe he's telling the truth, and Jim Harbaugh is a scumbag. And you have just become Ohio State and the SEC schools. Congratulations.
Or maybe you assume because the coach spoke then he must be telling the truth while the other side cannot speak at all. Go home, Moron! Enjoy your new star "4*" loaf recruit. Maybe Fitz will see his true value. Haa!

Go Blue!

Or maybe you assume because the coach spoke then he must be telling the truth while the other side cannot speak at all. Go home, Moron! Enjoy your new star "4*" loaf recruit. Maybe Fitz will see his true value. Haa!

Go Blue!
Well, you have to admit, Baumgardner's article contains quotes from Swenson's HS coach, and that seems to quash the narrative of Spath, who has been carrying the water for the muzzled Harbaugh and Trevno.

I really love the way Northwestern and MSU fans are hanging out here and liking each other's posts. Does make me believe they are mighty worried about a lot more than Ghengis Jim's moral compass.

emperor-palpatine.png

Boy aren't we all impressed with your higher ethics regarding college football recruiting! You really have a high opinion of yourself, don't you? You're basically the Gandhi of college football recruiting. All hail EvanstonCat!

Ha, you must be a Chicago judge, grab the story you like (which of course is only about half of it) and pronounce a verdict. My guess is you would not be hanging out here if your asses hadn't been handed to you in Ann Arbor this year.

Boy aren't we all impressed with your higher ethics regarding college football recruiting! You really have a high opinion of yourself, don't you? You're basically the Gandhi of college football recruiting. All hail EvanstonCat!
Doesn't it concern you that signs point to a guy's scholly being pulled within 2 weeks of NSD? Who knows, it might pay off as all the recruits deemed non-producers will be culled. It still seems like crappy way to build your program. Certainly nothing to be proud about.

Doesn't it concern you that signs point to a guy's scholly being pulled within 2 weeks of NSD? Who knows, it might pay off as all the recruits deemed non-producers will be culled. It still seems like crappy way to build your program. Certainly nothing to be proud about.
No, because we are not convinced that's what happened. But thanks for your concern over UM building a program the right way.

I stand by my words and find it interesting the amount of time Wildcat fans are spending here now that you have been called-out on your one-sided stories. However, that is your peragative. GO HARBAUGH! GO BLUE!

No, because we are not convinced that's what happened. But thanks for your concern over UM building a program the right way.
You might not be convinced, but you'd have some concerns that that might be the case, right? You at least must agree that if Harbaugh has done this, he's unkeepable scum.

You might not be convinced, but you'd have some concerns that that might be the case, right? You at least must agree that if Harbaugh has done this, he's unkeepable scum.

Again. Thank you for sharing your OPINIONS. Which mean absolutely nothing, especially given that you are strictly going off of one side of the story.

I have no concerns that UM did anything wrong here. I've been following Michigan football for 40 years and know a crisis when there is one, this isn't one. Take a listen to The Wolverine podcast w Doug Skene to speed up your education on this. You'll then see why I don't was my underwear over this.

So why wait until 2 weeks before signing day to pull the scholarship? I mean after repeatedly asking the kid to work out and camp which he refused, why not pull the scholarship then? Didn't the coaching staff attend any of Swensons games during the fall? Why not pull the ship then?
This smells rotten. All we hear is all coaches do it. Well there are some good ones out there. Read the story of the scholarship Dabo Sweeney offered to the son of one of his teammates when he was Alabama. Father has ALS and son was going to walk on at Bama. Sweeney just offered a full ride to the kid. Good story.
It didn't happen that way, but thank you for your concern and interest in Michigan Football.

It didn't happen that way, but thank you for your concern and interest in Michigan Football.

Exactly. Funny listening to someone with absolutely no knowledge of the situation, let alone a sparty, express their "concern." Good thing he only knows one side of a story to pass judgement.

Meanwhile, Alabama just scored again!

Exactly. Funny listening to someone with absolutely no knowledge of the situation, let alone a sparty, express their "concern." Good thing he only knows one side of a story to pass judgement.

Meanwhile, Alabama just scored again!

So, what's the explanation of why Rashad Weaver's scholarship was pulled?

http://3-star dl rashad weaver deco...changed offer to preferred walk-on situation/

How much you wanna bet more pulled offers are on the way? Just admit that this is what Harbaugh's MO is. Either accept it as the cost of winning (putting yourselves into the SEC dOSU category) or lament it as an immoral or unethical approach that detracts from the values of the University of Michigan -- but, don't continue with the pathetic excuses. Call it for what it is and don't be an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT