ADVERTISEMENT

Gattis dialed up nearly 300 rushing yards and 75% completions vs Northwestern. That's pretty good, but... (Cade)

90MVarsity

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2020
Gattis called a game where we ran for nearly 300 yards and the QB completed 75% of his passes. That's a pretty good OC game call generally.

I've been harsh on the guy, but basically everything he called worked. We had very good 3rd down numbers too because he is calling a game to get us in manageable third down situations.

As for Cade, he completed 75% of his passes. For folks calling for McCarthy, is JJ going to complete 90%? Cade is doing what he is being asked to do. He is executing what is being called. I bellyached about his 4 yards per attempt. That's not on him. He's completing the passes in the play that is being called. For example the failed TD to Erik All, Cade has to throw that ball 18 yards on a rope to be completed 1 yard past the line of scrimmage for All to gain 2-3 yards. That's not on Cade that he then has a poor yards per attempt rate...he is doing what he's being asked to do; which is complete a one yard pass and hope the TE breaks a tackle and scores.

So what's the conclusion? 1) Cade is doing what he's being tasked to do. I'm repeating this because it's such a big point...75% completions. He really completed nearly everything. I think he's getting a raw deal from Michigan fans.

2) The bigger question is Gattis. What he is calling is working. Nearly 300 yards and nearly 75% completions is really, really good. In the first quarter, you also see him calling plays to adjust field position and to use our kicking game. That's good stuff. But plain and simple, we should have had 21 points in the first half and not 10. And that's the rub with him. What he's calling is working but what is he calling? We all see the red zone issues. He called a bad red zone game. But in addition to that, the 5-15 yard passing game was non-existent. Northwestern's defense played the entire game with the ball in front of them. Reverses, bubbles, runs, they never had to play defense where the ball went behind the heads of the defensive line. The defense didn't have to defend the middle of the field because we rarely tested it. It's impressive for the Michigan offense that NW could simply play downhill and still get beat badly. But there was no, or little attempt to throw the ball 10, 12, 15 yards downfield, or in the middle of the field. As a result, there were no explosive plays. All the TD drives were grind it drives I think. That's impressive, and yet still unsatisfying. And the scoring numbers were inflated by the blocked punt and INT.

Gattis called an extremely conservative game. Cade executed what was called. Gattis dialed up 300 and 75%. So what he called worked, so I give him credit for that. There was not much of an attempt to call explosive plays or work the middle of the field or deep outs. We should have had over 45 points in that game. The point of calling an offense is to score points. Our red zone issues need to get fixed starting yesterday. Cade is not the problem.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News