ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread Fri Oct 17 UNH

So these are 2 big games this weekend boys

. . . for numbers 2 and 3 of 35 in the regular season. Every game in the NCAA season counts towards making the tournament and these 2 probably count more than most because playing a Hockey East team (even a middle of the pack HEA team) is a good RPI-boosting opportunity.

Re: So these are 2 big games this weekend boys

Feels good to have games that matter.

At Yost a little early and...

Coach Wiseman is putting Martin, Piazza, Talcott and Calderone through their paces. Strongly guessing they are scratches tonight.

Re: At Yost a little early and...

If Talcott and Calderone are scratches and Selman is injured, that means we will have a D-man playing forward tonight (or in any event - will dress 7 D-men).

Line charts

Dancs - Copp - Compher
Kile - Larkin - Hyman
Motte -Nieves -Allen
Shuart - Lynch - Sinelli

Werenski - Lohan
Downing - Chiasson
De Jong - Serville

Nagelvoort
Racine
Dwyer

Scratches
Martin, Piazza, Selman, Talcott, Calderone, Porikos

1-0 UNH end of one

Grayson Downing finished off a power play goal with 19 seconds left in the period on a goalmouth scramble after several saves by Nagelvoort.

Great, another season with very high hopes and we're quickly going to be 0-2.

Can we bring back Mel Pearson as an assistant coach...we haven't been the same without him.

Many scoring chances in the first for Michigan. When UNH scored, you could feel their confidence soar and Michigan started to play very tentatively.
Will be interesting to see how they come out in the third period.

An entire week to practice...and this is what happens....that's coaching. Apparently Red has caught the Hoke illness.

Seems like Michigan Hockey is struggling with mental toughness just like Michigan Football the past couple of seasons.

Well, a big test for Red and Copp to get this team's mindset ready to come out and win tomorrow. Opening night at Yost, against a strong program, and Michigan Hockey lays a total egg.

Bob - what are your thoughts after 2 losses to Ferris and UNH?

That was bad

. . . is my thoughts. UNH is not that good a team, to get smoked by them like that in your own building is really bad and reflects a basic lack of self-respect.

The fact that the team dominated the first period for the most part to let in a late goal was tough to take. But I didn't expect the team to turn the game off that badly.

And the third was worse than the second period.

What was that they put out there?

Stated simply, why did the team of the first period become the team of the second and third periods?

Gotta believe it's mental and fixable.

This post was edited on 10/18 1:58 AM by Bob Miller

They also let up some pretty good chances in the first...I didn't see them dominate that period at all...they did compete though and maybe had the upper hand by a nod, and then they just stopped.

And UNH's effort was the exact opposite. People that think there is a large disparity between the top 20 college hockey teams ...maybe even more have not been watching. Need to show up every single night.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Mental and fixable, certainly.

But over that, there are some D problems that UNH did a great job exposing.

Werenski has an amazing shot, and seems to make some great passes. However, his decisions in our D zone are a little late- not much, but a little. Late enough that they lead to turn overs.

Everyone else has problems, but Zach sure appears that he can be the #1 defensman if he clears up all parts of his game.

The other thing I noticed- the team didn't seem ready for the speed of UNH's game. Which I didn't see as one *that* fast. Which is odd, considering how Ferris played a fast game, too.

UNH has always been built for speed and an open game, they play on an Olympic sheet. In the last they have struggled with the smaller rinks and more physical teams. Last night then had so much space yost looked like an Olympic sheet.

I agree so much of last night was mental and effort related, just a bit surprised it showed up in the first home game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Red Berenson agrees with you on both counts. And so do I. You could literally feel the wind go out of their sails and inflate UNH. I will say that I thought they played a better first 18 minutes than I expected before the dreadful second period.

We certainly did see the promise and the youth of Werenski last night.

I think the mental part made it look effort-related. One of the challenges for the coaching staff will be to get that effort channeled properly, and most of all, confidently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT