ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Game Thoughts On Colston Loveland, Mason Graham

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** I made my way out to Idaho this weekend to get an in-person look at Michigan tight end commit Colston Loveland. I've always stated that Loveland is one of the more underrated recruits in Michigan's 2022 recruiting class. And it's not hard to see why. Loveland is every bit of 6-foot-5, 230 pounds. He has a muscular build, especially in his upper half, and has put in a ton of work in the weight room. Loveland has the frame to carry 20 more pounds — and carry it well. I'm excited to see how he develops in the strength and conditioning program under Ben Herbert. Right now, he's still a bit more of a flex end, but he has the size and strength to spend a lot more time with his hand in the dirt.

*** Loveland is an athletic pass catcher that spends a lot of his time lined up out wide. He had a terrific touchdown grab in the back of the end zone in the second half of a blowout win, which was his biggest play as a pass catcher. Loveland does run great routes and gets in and out of breaks in a hurry for his size. But he plays inferior competition that constantly spends time bracketing him. Whether it's a straight double or cheating the safety over, there is never a time that Loveland doesn't get extra attention. If he's iso'd, it's more than likely going to be a big play. Because of this, Loveland has been in creative ways throughout the season.

*** Which brings me to my next point. Loveland is definitely an athletic specimen. He had a big run while playing Wildcat quarterback and scored twice on the ground on Friday night. He also played some linebacker on defense and came away with an interception. Loveland will have to adjust to a much higher level of competition at the next level and get more comfortable as an in-line blocker/receiver, but the sky is the limit for him. It's no surprise that other P5 programs like Auburn and Arizona State are in hot pursuit. He checks a lot of boxes as an elite level tight end. I would grade him as a Top 250 prospect and glad he got a bump elsewhere.

*** From one underrated commit to another, I flew straight from Boise to Los Angeles to see Michigan defensive tackle commit Mason Graham and his Anaheim (Calif.) Servite team take on Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei in a clash of two national powerhouses. Graham certainly won't have to adjust to competition level. He plays against the best in the country in the Trinity League, arguably the toughest high school football conference in America. The fact that Graham is a 5.5 three-star recruit but has been impressing against this level of competition is a travesty. What else does Graham need to do? Seriously, the guy is going up against DI offensive linemen every week and is killing it. Rivals national was in attendance, so maybe he'll get his bump. Like Loveland, I would grade Graham as a Top 250 prospect.

*** Now, Graham didn't have a monster game as Mater Dei is the top high school team in America this season, and it's not even close. But he still impressed in a multitude of ways. The first thing that really pops out about Graham is his motor. This guy is non-stop and always in go mode. It took a little while, but he notched a sack late in the game, came up with a huge pass deflection in the fourth quarter and stopped Oklahoma commit Raleek Brown in the backfield on a couple of occasions. When you factor in his quickness at his size (6-3, 292) and power, you have a recipe for success. Graham also started at offensive tackle and never came off the field. To do that at that level is an accomplishment in itself.

*** Another thing I love about Graham is his versatility. He literally played all over the defensive line — three, 4i, five, etc. Graham is a guy Michigan can do a lot with at the next level. He doesn't necessarily have to be pigeon-holed to a three. He's a great pass rusher from the four and five and has an array of moves at his disposal, including a killer swim. I think he's going to kill it playing next to a true mammoth nose in Kenneth Grant. I don't think Michigan should beef up Graham too much. He's already pushing 300, and I would like to see him maintain the aforementioned quickness and explosion. I do think Graham can continue working on his pad level and flexibility (pretty standard things), but there is a lot to like here. He's a perfect fit for Michigan's scheme, which gives me even more confidence that he'll outplay his rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News