ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Thoughts: Former Players Opinions' On Sitting Out The Bowl Games

ChrisBalas

Austin Powers, Goldmember
Jul 6, 2001
Dexter, MI
www.thewolverine.com
There are strong opinions on both sides of the "should he play or should he not" argument as it pertains to bowl games. This year's Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl is a New Year's Six bowl game and a chance for U-M to beat Florida, finish with 11 wins and finish in the top five, but a segment of the fan base doesn't think it's all that important.

It's unfair to say the players contemplating sitting out the game feel the same way, since they have much more at stake. From what we've gathered, senior running back and captain Karan Higdon is a definite 'no' for the Peach Bowl, junior linebacker Devin Bush Jr. too, and both decisions aren't sitting well with some coaches and players. These guys are captains, after all, and guys that are being turned to for leadership.

Junior end Rashan Gary was not a captain -- he's not playing, and while corners David Long and LaVert Hill are practicing, they're still considered good bets to sit, too, though those close to it hope they change their minds.

Unlike Gary and Bush, the other three aren't considered top three round picks.

"It's disappointing, although if I knew I was a No. 1 draft pick and I was a top 15 all the way, I can understand it," former Michigan All-Big Ten offensive lineman Doug Skene said. "I can understand it, although nothing would have prevented me from playing for Michigan one last time.

"When we were seniors a long time ago, we knew there were guys who were going to be first round picks, and yet the thought of not playing was never even a thought or a discussion point. I guess it's just a generational change, and although I can understand it, it meant too much to us."

All the "it's changed because there's more money involved" arguments, etc. don't resonate with Skene or former Michigan All-American Jon Jansen.

"I was the 37th overall pick in the Draft," Jansen noted. "It's all relative. There were millions of dollars on the line for me, too. I was a captain and expected to lead ... there wasn't a chance I was going to miss that last opportunity to put on the uniform and play for my teammates one more time."

The system has made it such that the other bowl games outside the so-called Final Four teams are now deemed irrelevant, even though U-M has a chance to finish in the top five with 11 wins. Jansen believes expanding the playoff could help with that, and that's on the table (and likely to happen soon).

"Part of what's different now is the playoff has drawn this massive line," Skene said. "If you're not in the playoffs, really what are you playing for? I'll tell you — yourself and your teammates. The guys that are No. 1 draft picks are playing in the playoff games. I don't think anyone from Alabama is sitting out to protect their own deal.

"What's different from when we played? Why is it not important enough to put your well being on the line when all your other teammates are? That's a difficult question to answer. Every time you go on the field, you're risking it. The main thing that sucks is this playoff era, non playoff games are treated like exhibitions, and more and more players are feeling the same way."

Had the Wolverines taken care of business at the end of the year, he added, this would be an issue.

"That's why getting your ass kicked by your rival again hurts even more," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News