ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Q and A: Niko Porikos

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
UM Hockey SID Jeff Weinstein and I combined forces to put together a Q and A opportunity for the 2014 incoming class of freshmen hockey players. Jeff ran partial snippets of the answers on the mgoblue.com website. I'll run the whole interview here on The Yost Post.

First up, Niko Porikos.

On his familiarity with Michigan's program before he arrived:

"Michigan hockey's class of 2005 was the reason I started to play hockey. I grew up in Ann Arbor and it has always been my dream to play here."

On his hockey hero growing up:

"Growing up in Ann Arbor, I had a lot of hockey heroes, too many to list; many Michigan players, USNTDP players, a few of whom my family billeted. I was surrounded by a lot of great hockey people who I looked up to."

On his on-ice game and improvements he'd like to make at Michigan:

"I like to think of myself as a versatile player. Whether playing forward or defense, I try to adapt to whatever role my coaches want me to play. I constantly try to improve my game in all aspects."

On what coach has influenced him the most in his development and why:

"Brian Burke (Victory Honda midget). Coach Burke had confidence in me that was contagious. I am forever in debt to him for that."

On his recruitment to Michigan:

"There wasn't any recruitment needed from Michigan. Ever since my first Michigan hockey game, I knew this was where I wanted to be. Meeting the coaches when I was younger, then attending the Red Berenson hockey camps, I tried to make an effort to show my dream of playing here. My final decision was definitely an easy one and well worth the wait."

On his off-ice interests:

"I love anything business-oriented. From my favorite TV show, Shark Tank, to starting little businesses at 13 years old. My current business is for phone customization and repair."

On his academic interests/goals at Michigan:

"My academic interests revolve around math and business. My major academic goal is to be accepted into the Ross School of Business."

On any hardships/difficulties faced by him and his family:

"Although I haven't experienced these hardships personally, my parents have definitely overcome tough times and I am forever grateful for them. My dad left his home country of Greece at 18; left everything behind and came to the United States with basically nothing.

"He started from scratch and went from being a dishwasher to eventually, after countless hours, stress, and hard work, owning a few restaurants of his own. My mom is the glue to our family. She holds everything together. When my dad wasn't around as much when I was younger, things weren't any different. From always working her own jobs to driving me all over the place for soccer and hockey and everything in between, there isn't a scale in the world that can weigh what she carried."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT