ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you turning a blind eye to Harbaugh turing into "Urban Saban"..

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
with his recruiting tactics, you are completely hypocritical. You have skewered both Urban and Nick for doing what we are now doing. UM can dress this up anyway they want, and Gregg Henson can blog about how UM is doing this purging the right way while OSU and Alabama don't, but that is nonsense.

I love Harbaugh as a coach. Bleed UM maize and blue like you guys. Will be renewing season tickets again and cheer like hell next fall, but I don't support this type of recruiting.

From a fans perspective, go ahead and don't care, but admit that our fan base in general, if Saban and Meyer were doing this, and we still weren't until recently, would continue to rip those two coaches.

and you forgot to make an argument, though I think you did commit the ad hominem logical fallacy, or was it the poisoning the well fallacy?

with his recruiting tactics, you are completely hypocritical. You have skewered both Urban and Nick for doing what we are now doing. UM can dress this up anyway they want, and Gregg Henson can blog about how UM is doing this purging the right way while OSU and Alabama don't, but that is nonsense.

I love Harbaugh as a coach. Bleed UM maize and blue like you guys. Will be renewing season tickets again and cheer like hell next fall, but I don't support this type of recruiting.

From a fans perspective, go ahead and don't care, but admit that our fan base in general, if Saban and Meyer were doing this, and we still weren't until recently, would continue to rip those two coaches.

No no no no. Don't bring common sense to a message board. It ruins everything.

What is happing to Michigan? I've never liked Michigan as a fan of a rival school, but I always respected the hell out of the program. Now you have a creeper HC who is sleeping over 17 year old kid's houses and pulling offers from kids committed for 3 year through all the term oil and coaching change just weeks before LOI day. Michigan might as well move to the SEC. This stuff is embarrassing for the conference. Shame on Harbaugh and shame on any UM fans defending this garbage.

What is happing to Michigan? I've never liked Michigan as a fan of a rival school, but I always respected the hell out of the program. Now you have a creeper HC who is sleeping over 17 year old kid's houses and pulling offers from kids committed for 3 year through all the term oil and coaching change just weeks before LOI day. Michigan might as well move to the SEC. This stuff is embarrassing for the conference. Shame on Harbaugh and shame on any UM fans defending this garbage.
Tell us Dr Recruiting all that you know about this situation and what UM has done that is so egregious. What has UM said? Oops, that's right colleges cannot comment on recruits so you only have a comment from a former commitment and your active fantasy life to run on here.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
Nothing is official until letters of intent are signed. It sounds like some people think a commitment is the same thing.

And, please rival fans, spare us your "I thought Michigan was better than that." You loved the fact that Michigan went through multiple losing seasons recently. You didn't feel sorry for Michigan because "they did things the right way." I mean, how stupid do you think we are? HA!

HAAA!!!!

So let me get this straight. You didn't like Michigan before and now you REALLY don't like Michigan?

Wow, that's a crushing blow for all of us.

Nothing is official until letters of intent are signed. It sounds like some people think a commitment is the same thing.

And, please rival fans, spare us your "I thought Michigan was better than that." You loved the fact that Michigan went through multiple losing seasons recently. You didn't feel sorry for Michigan because "they did things the right way." I mean, how stupid do you think we are? HA!

Not me. I never thought "Michigan was better than that"

I'm just happy you guys hired a wuss who got his lunch handed to him by Aoichii for a coach.

Pulling a kids scholarship two weeks before signing day is even a new low for Michigan.
The kid said he opened up his recruiting. Where was it said his offer was pulled? Did he or anyone else say that?

Just a question. So what about the two kids who had been on board with Maryland until 2 days ago? They pulled their "offers" to Maryland.

Reactions: davo83

Be the BIG's bitches and all is well with UM's recruiting approach, act like ravenous lions eager to consume every viable star on the HS horizon and, whoa, you guys have like ethical issues. Pffffft!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...1/20/erik-swenson-michigan-football/79063212/

For those of you with your maize and blue glasses on, and with your heads in the cloud, that is your choice. You know the truth. You know this is wrong. I don't care if kid after kid decommit and play games with coaches.

This guy had OUR commitment. We (Harbaugh and the program) are the adults here.

My biggest disappointment is this:. If Harbaugh and Drevno are such amazing coaches, Swenson's supposed unworthiness to be in this class can be easily fixed by their amazing coaching, correct?

This stinks. This isn't Michigan. Not right. Not right when OSU and Alabama do it. Not right now. Coach him up. We have the best staff, correct?

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...1/20/erik-swenson-michigan-football/79063212/

For those of you with your maize and blue glasses on, and with your heads in the cloud, that is your choice. You know the truth. You know this is wrong. I don't care if kid after kid decommit and play games with coaches.

This guy had OUR commitment. We (Harbaugh and the program) are the adults here.

My biggest disappointment is this:. If Harbaugh and Drevno are such amazing coaches, Swenson's supposed unworthiness to be in this class can be easily fixed by their amazing coaching, correct?

This stinks. This isn't Michigan. Not right. Not right when OSU and Alabama do it. Not right now. Coach him up. We have the best staff, correct?
It does suck.

I hope Swenson goes to a B1G school and wins every single match up against UM...but loses every game.

You can't win in college football anymore without being smarmy.

I'm not personally calling it "unethical" but people DO have a point. Harbaugh has had 55 weeks to evaluate Swenson and determine whether he wanted to still keep the offer on the table.

Call him up in the 1st half of CY 2015 and say "Nothing personal, but I'm the new Coach here and I'm the new evaluator of things and the offer that U-M's former coach made is off the table. But I personally am still definitely considering you. Definitely re-open your recruiting process and let's stay in touch."

Well, we don't know what was said or not said on the coaches' end. They can't comment now and certainly won't get into it later, so it's all speculation.

I mean, he's been committed for so long but never taken an official visit? Doesn't that tell us something?

Well, we don't know what was said or not said on the coaches' end. They can't comment now and certainly won't get into it later, so it's all speculation.

I mean, he's been committed for so long but never taken an official visit? Doesn't that tell us something?

There are back-channel ways for the coaches to get their message out. Everyone knows how to play that game.

Regarding Swenson having never taken an official visit ---- plenty of kids commit without that happening. Per his father in a 2013 article: "Erik is just a pretty simple kind of kid. He's not into traveling across the country and doesn't want to take official visits and waste people's time and money. He has wanted to go to Michigan since he was a little kid. He truly had no desire to go anywhere else. He loves the school, the tradition and everything that is Michigan. He will get a great education and will get a chance to play at a high level. My wife and I just could not see him at any other school. Michigan has great people in and around the program. Erik was ready to commit at the Notre Dame game but I wanted him to slow down just a bit and really think it through. He said to me this weekend "I'm done" and I believed him."

http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/downers-grove-south-ot-erik-swenson-commits-michigan

I guess I don't understand why this took 55 weeks. It's a 5 minute call. Take a deep breath, call, be direct in your message, hang up, move forward. Sort of like firing someone (except that's obviously face-to-face).

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
It's sad but true. If you want to WIN today in big-time college football you have to do what JH, Saban and Urban are doing.

I believe 98% of you have been complaining every year since Lloyd's last couple that we didn't win enough so quit complaining because you received what you asked for. And, I'm not faulting JH. He is just doing his job.

There are back-channel ways for the coaches to get their message out. Everyone knows how to play that game.

Regarding Swenson having never taken an official visit ---- plenty of kids commit without that happening. Per his father in a 2013 article: "Erik is just a pretty simple kind of kid. He's not into traveling across the country and doesn't want to take official visits and waste people's time and money. He has wanted to go to Michigan since he was a little kid. He truly had no desire to go anywhere else. He loves the school, the tradition and everything that is Michigan. He will get a great education and will get a chance to play at a high level. My wife and I just could not see him at any other school. Michigan has great people in and around the program. Erik was ready to commit at the Notre Dame game but I wanted him to slow down just a bit and really think it through. He said to me this weekend "I'm done" and I believed him."

http://www.csnchicago.com/preps/downers-grove-south-ot-erik-swenson-commits-michigan

I guess I don't understand why this took 55 weeks. It's a 5 minute call. Take a deep breath, call, be direct in your message, hang up, move forward. Sort of like firing someone (except that's obviously face-to-face).
Easy because something better came along, put your big boy pants on, it's a big boy world, the same world where recruits in droves change their minds and go to other schools.

Last edited:
It's sad but true. If you want to WIN today in big-time college football you have to do what JH, Saban and Urban are doing.

I believe 98% of you have been complaining every year since Lloyd's last couple that we didn't win enough so quit complaining because you received what you asked for. And, I'm not faulting JH. He is just doing his job.
Nope. You don't have to do it this way.

It does suck.

I hope Swenson goes to a B1G school and wins every single match up against UM...but loses every game.

You can't win in college football anymore without being smarmy.
There is a difference between being smarmy, arrogant, in our face, and doing this. It is a major black eye and it looks as if Swenson has not been or will not be the only one. Totally wrong.

This fills me with "term oil", let me tell you.

There is a difference between being smarmy, arrogant, in our face, and doing this. It is a major black eye and it looks as if Swenson has not been or will not be the only one. Totally wrong.
We had a nice guy as a coach before - he never would have done this.
He's also no longer coaching here.

I'm gonna stick with the jerk we have now.

JH is NOT a jerk!! I resent that! He is only doing what Michigan fans and alumni want - to WIN with the very best players he can get. That is what college football has evolved into so if you don't like it don't follow it.

Reactions: FloridAlum
We had a nice guy as a coach before - he never would have done this.
He's also no longer coaching here.

I'm gonna stick with the jerk we have now.
Our coaches are only nice when they are getting taken to the woodshed on and off the field, otherwise they're malignant manipulators that do anything to win, don't you know?

Swenson's side of the story is incomplete. The Michigan staff told him to take visits a WHILE back, and told his coach before the season that he needed to show some improvement this year or his offer wouldn't be commitable anymore. He and his family had been conversing with other coaches for at least the last few weeks (if not longer). It really sounds like he wanted to go to Michigan so badly that he was in a bit of denial about the offer going away.

Reactions: bobumfan
Swenson's side of the story is incomplete. The Michigan staff told him to take visits a WHILE back, and told his coach before the season that he needed to show some improvement this year or his offer wouldn't be commitable anymore. He and his family had been conversing with other coaches for at least the last few weeks (if not longer). It really sounds like he wanted to go to Michigan so badly that he was in a bit of denial about the offer going away.
And he's "stuck" it looks like with Northwestern and Vanderbilt as viable options. What's he going to do with degrees from those two community colleges?

Fair enough --- and now we have the Michigan side of the story. It's now "he said, she said."

I knew we would get the U-M side of the story anyway. That's what Sam Webb and Chris Balas and others are for. Every college football coach knows how to play the "relate information via back-channels" game.

Reactions: goblue31602

Don't you wish Joe Pa would have taken that deep breath and made that five minute call to Sandusky?

*wondering how the view is up there on that mighty high horse there*

Don't you wish Joe Pa would have taken that deep breath and made that five minute call to Sandusky?

*wondering how the view is up there on that mighty high horse there*

Yeah, Lord knows I've never been critical of JoePa over any of the last 1,537 days. :rolleyes:

Yes, JoePa should have taken that deep breath and made the call.

Water is also wet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT