ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Link...

mc3022

Sophomore
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2023
Link's pass-pro technique is awful (which is putting it nicely) as a P5 or even MAC-caliber starter. While that's often the case with bad Olineman, he has a long way to go to even be a serviceable tackle for UM.

While we discussed it as a group a bit, I didn't truly grasp how much he's hampering the passing game until a rewatch of the film. Over the past four games - which was about as fun as re-watching the 2020 season; I came away even less impressed than I already was.

He gets beat on inside moves, speed rushes, AND bull rushes because he doesn't get enough depth on his initial kick and loses his center of gravity with poor footwork adjusting to the defender - making him an absolute turnstile. The coaching staff has thrown him into a role he's not ready for...

While the good news is that technique is fixable, the jump of improvement he needs to make leads me to believe it's time to give somebody else a try...If you're rolling out Gentry as a 6th OL, then at least according to PFF's passing grades, it literally cannot get any worse 2 out of his 4 games. It's time for him to get his shot, similar to how Orji was given his.

Simply put, if the offense has any chance of improving the passing game or at least achieving some semblance of balance, it needs to fix the RT issue. This issue is only going to get worse as teams get creative with their best rushers and blitzes toward the right side of the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.