ADVERTISEMENT

can anyone explain how Don Brown is a defensive genius?

We continue to get killed by running QBs especially on passing plays. We continue to play man D in 2nd/3rd long situations and either get beat or commit a penalty. It's extremely frustrating.

Reactions: trepps
Because Don Brown refuses to use zone.. He lets a RS FR QB beat us over the top and with 2 crossing routes on 3rd down vs man D.. His simply has no ability to adjust in game...

Last edited:
Again,.. .Don Brown's overrated D.. Giving up a big play when you need them to stand up and make a stop..... What a joke.

Honestly, with the players we have year over year, we would be good with any respectable D coach , i think Don’s high risk / high reward D is not a championship D philosophy...it’s exciting to watch... but not going to take you there

Even in a one dimensional offense the other guys are gaining chunks

Didn’t I get laughed off this board six weeks ago for being one of the first to say he’s massively overrated? It was after the State game.

He is massively overrated. Can’t close out games. Done it once, Wisconsin last year.

I think Don Brown should get way more criticism because we know we're handicapped at QB on the offensive side of the ball.. His style of defense allows too many big plays that lead to points. On the otherhand, the reward is a few sacks, TFL, 3 and outs, etc. In order for this style of D to work it HAS TO CREATE MORE TURNOVERS period because all the big plays we give up lead to points. 31 vs OSU and 42 vs PSU is way too much.

I'm willing to hold off until we have a more viable offense to see how much things shift but really our D is great against the run but susceptible to the passing game. We leave guys one on one in man D which leads to big passing plays or penalties that extend drives. Or QBs with mobility just take off and run. He has to fix this.

Last edited:
Great against the run? Did OSU beat UM by the run or by the pass? Zone read? How many times did that work?

For the most part yes.. .the "runs" that hurt us & got OSU going weren't really designed run plays. JT was taking off because our DC refused to play zone in 2nd/3rd long situation leaving the field wide open. However, later in the game when the D wore down more we started to give up yardage on called run plays..

What's killing us isn't designed runs though. .It's big plays over the top vs man D (either penalty or catch) and QBs taking off running on passing downs vs man D. IMO a lot of that can be taken away via scheme.

Or Zone/Blitz for that matter... lololol

Either way, tell me about it.. WTF is Khaleke Hudson out there for?

When a defense is on the field for 3/4 of the game. the defense is vulnerable, so until we get an offense that isn't 3 and out, big plays against the defense are going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT