ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Houstan Athleticism

Asgardtx

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2020
There seems to be a consistent theme that a Caleb is a subpar athlete. This is something I strongly disagree with as I believe we often say athlete and have a freak athlete in mind.

Caleb has what I refer to as functional athleticism. The type of athleticism that allows you to perform sport specific movements to an above average degree. Caleb has this in spades.

For context, I’ve watched about 12 Monteverdi games this year which included tournaments.

Caleb has this smoothness about his game. He has the ability to use just enough to accomplish the task. Kind of like how Carmelo Anthony never had LeBron or Dwayne Wade levels of athleticism but still had more than enough functional athleticism to compete at the highest level.

I’ve seen Caleb effectively guard Kendall Brown who isone of the top athletes in the 2021 class headed to Baylor, Jaden Akins, Moussa, TyTy Washington, Chet Holmgren, Trevor Keels and more. The thing is, he never gets taken advantage of at all. I’ve seen him cover a dribble drive from his own man and rotate to recover from the paint tothe 3pt line consistently. Reminds me of Franz in the amount of ground he covers leveraging his sudden burst quickness, instincts and reach.

Offensively, Caleb knows the art of using screens which is a lost art in today’s game. He’s an above average offensive rebounder and a terrific rebounder over all. I’ve seen him beat entire teams down the court on the break utilizing a quick acceleration that always surprises the opposing team.

Again, the narrative that Caleb Houstan is somehow an underwhelming athlete gained momentum and became a foregone conclusion by people who never really saw a sample size to adequately judge. He isn’t a freak athlete but has above average functional athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News