ADVERTISEMENT

BTT Baseball - B1G umps screw Iowa... unbelievable call

speedboys

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2001
here's the setting in today's B1G elimination game between Iowa and Illinois.

Illinois scores 2 in the top of the 10th to make it 4-2.

Iowa loads the bases i the bottom of the 10th with no out and Seegers up at the plate. Seegers if 4-7 inn the tourney so far.

He hits a smash to first base and the first baseman makes a scrambling play to get them ball ans throw to the Illinois SS at second to try for a double play.

The run slides straight into the base, not to either side. while he may have been a little late as his feet overslide the base, he did not touch the SS in any way who caught the ball on the inside of the bag and through to first to try and complete the double play. Seegers beat out the play.

Keep in mind Illinois was the regular season champion

The umps called the runner going into second out for a "slide interference" which also resulted in Seegers (the batter) being called out and the runners on third and second to return to their bases.
Instead of a 4-3 game with runners on 1st and third with one out, the game was now runners on second and third with two outs and the score reverts back to 4-2.

You have to watch the replay... such BS. IMO.

Illinois had not replay left, but the umps decided to review the play and called it "confirmed". not sure what they were looking at.

It wasn't like the runner going to second ran out of the base line, not did hit impede or in any other way touch the SS who caught the ball and returned a throw back to first. Nor did he raise his hands to try an prevent the ball from getting to the SS. I find it hard to believe they called the runner out from heading straight to second as fast as he could. Even the announcers thought the call would be overturned upon review. But not in our B1G. Why ruin the leagues reputation for fine officiating.

I have no dog in this fight, but that call was just wrong. Iowa's coach did his best interpretation of George Brett in the pine tar incident or Whitey Herzog going to the mound or even a Bill Martin rant. Hell of a way to have your season end.

I don't recall seeing a B1G head coach so irate over a call. Watch for Pettiti to discipline him, but that would BS too.

I don't know that I could equate it to a football call Michigan received and how we felt afterwards. IF so, it may be in Bo's last Rose Bowl when they called a penalty on our fake punt late in the game negating a huge gain and retain the ball with a chance to do more. Or more recently, when Ojabo hit MSU's QB and forced a fumble which Hutchinson recovered in the end zone in the 2021 game at MSU. Those would be very close.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News