ADVERTISEMENT

Box Score review from last night....

scheins

Heisman
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
A few stats really stand out:

1. Michigan was outrebounded 46 to 20 which is ridiculous - shows sparty was playing with more effort but also shows what happens when our big guys are sitting on the bench for extended minutes.
  2. Shot 36.4% from 3 which isn't as bad as I thought and much better than sparty at 27.3% - they killed Michigan inside and on dribble penetration. Again... when the starting big guys sit that % goes up. Castleton and Johns weren't stopping anybody.
  3. Sparty had 8 blocks - that's a killer. Almost as good as turnovers. Speaking of turnovers....
  4. Sparty had 13 to Michigan's 5 - and Michigan still lost. Those blocks - and the rebounds - seemed to even out Michigan's turnover advantage.
  5. Sparty had 30 free throws to Michigan's 7 - which is insane for a Michigan team that doesn't foul that much. For giggles, I looked up a few previous games. Maryland.... Michigan 15, Maryland 10. Sparty at Crisler... Michigan 20, sparty 30. At Minny... Michigan 11, Minny 18. Ped State... Michigan 16, Peds 34. Starting to see a pattern?
When the opposing teams shoot 30+ free throws that basically sinks the game no matter what else is happening. When I look at the other stats, everything is fairly even for last night except rebounds. FG % was lower but UM had a higher 3P%. The blocks evened out the turnovers. Rebounds are a great indicator of energy and effort. If the other team has more energy then Michigan will be more prone to dumb fouls... and that was definitely the case last night and against PSU. They need to be more disciplined.

I also think there is a snowball effect. When Michigan commits a few dumb fouls the refs keep looking for them.... and keep calling them until a player stops. Do I think some refs call a tighter game? Maybe let coaches get in their ears? For sure. But that can't fully explain a 30-7 free throw differential.

Michigan needs to play smarter and more disciplined against teams that bring more energy and maybe advantages at certain positions. Michigan really missed Charles Matthews last night. Winston was their advantage at PG last night and Michigan had no answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News