ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Ron Bellamy Working Hard On WR Targets

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

*** New Michigan wide receivers coach Ron Bellamy has been hard at work on some of the Wolverines' top 2022 wide receiver targets. Bellamy linked up with Rivals100 La Grange Park (Ill.) Nazareth Academy wide receiver Tyler Morris shortly after arriving in Ann Arbor and was back on the phone with him today. Obviously, Morris has strong relationships with guys like offensive coordinator Josh Gattis and area recruiter Sherrone Moore, but adding Bellamy to the fold can only help. Right now, I feel like Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas are the three teams to watch in this race. I have my pick in for U-M and still feel really good about where the Wolverines stand. Morris' tie to Michigan quarterback signee JJ McCarthy is also paying dividends.

*** Bellamy will obviously be tasked with giving Michigan in-state recruiting a bump. One prospect I'm told Bellamy is very high on is four-star 2022 Eastpointe (Mich.) High wide receiver Tay'Shawn Trent. The two were scheduled to get on the phone tonight. When I went out to Eastpointe a few months ago, head coach Al Demps expressed frustration with Michigan's lack of contact. Bellamy will help mend the fence with him and make the Wolverines a very strong player for Trent. Right now, I feel like Michigan State is the leader here. MSU has made Trent feel like a priority, and he is very close to new Spartans commit Tyrell Henry — the two are childhood friends.

*** Another in-state prospect that could rise up Michigan's board is four-star 2022 Birmingham (Mich.) Groves athlete Jaden Mangham. I'm told Bellamy likes his skillset as a wide receiver, but I know a lot of schools prefer him on the defensive side of the ball as safety. At 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, Mangham is definitely an intriguing athlete. Bellamy actually coached against Mangham when he was a sophomore and has a preexisting relationship with Groves wide receivers coach Zak Kareem, who also doubles as Mangham's trainer and mentor. Right now, Mangham seems pretty open with his recruitment, but Michigan State is gaining some momentum.

*** Michigan is making a strong push for 2022 Rivals250 Portland (Ore.) Westview wide receiver Darrius Clemons. Gattis has led the way here, but Bellamy is already getting involved. I'm told Clemons is a top of the board guy at wide receiver and that Bellamy has been in contact with both him and his father over the last week. I've known Clemons' 7v7 coach, Houston Lillard (brother of NBA star Damian Lillard), for a few years now, and he's working on setting up a call with Bellamy as well. By the way, Clemons is originally from Lansing and grew up playing in youth leagues with Michigan signee Andrel Anthony.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News