ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Latest Intel On Rayshaun Benny

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

*** I wrote yesterday that the extended dead period could help Michigan in the recruitment of Rivals100 Oak Park (Mich.) High defensive lineman Rayshaun Benny. And I definitely still feel that way. Benny has always wanted to extend his process because of his desire to see schools across the country. With the dead period going through Jan. 1, I wouldn't be surprised if Benny decides sooner. Technically, Benny could wait until February to pull the trigger, and he hasn't ruled that out, but with so much uncertainty around visits, I think it makes a lot of sense for him to shut things down, especially since he's not much of a drama kid.

*** Earlier this month, I felt like Penn State was the biggest threat to Michigan in this recruitment. After all, PSU has had some success in Detroit this cycle, and he talked up the Nittany Lions when I went out to see him this fall. However, I'm told that Penn State has faded in this recruitment. Penn State liked him more as an offensive lineman, and Benny perfers to play on the defensive side of the ball. On top of that, contact has dropped off. Kentucky is arguably the biggest comp for Michigan now. Remember, Kentucky pulled Justin Rogers out of Oak Park last year, so there is some familiarity there. Arizona State, Arkansas, Tennessee and Michigan State remain involved as well.

*** Like with fellow top defensive line target George Rooks, I'm told Benny can be hard to communicate with at times. He is quiet by nature and a hard kid to read. Though, when I went out to Oak Park to see him, he was pretty talkative and said a lot of positive things about Michigan. Clayton will be back out to see him tomorrow. He has a really good relationship with the entire coaching staff, and I think area recruiter Sherrone Moore is really helping in this recruitment. Michigan is recruiting him hard but giving him his space at the same time. I have my pick in for Michigan and still like where the Wolverines stand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News