ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Insight On New Michigan RB/WR Offer Che Nwabuko

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis extended an offer to three-star 2022 Manor (Texas) High athlete Che Nwabuko earlier this month. I caught up with his father, Chux Nwabuko, who also happens to be an elite personal trainer in the Austin-area.

Chux breaks down Che's game and talks about Michigan and the recruiting process below.

On his overall thoughts on Che:

"It obviously starts with his speed. He has elite football speed and track speed — near world class speed. He's a hard worker. He's a natural running back. He has great vision. He also has soft hands because he's an ex-baseball player. He's really good with the glove and tracking down the ball in the air. His future looks brighter out in space showing those skills."

On what they are working on this offseason:

"Basically his route running. Like I said before, he's a natural running back. It runs in the family. I was a running back and so was my older son. But it's just about his route running, getting his releases crispier, dropping the shoulders over the heels and things like that. Just making sure he really knows how to run routes. Once his routes get on point, you'll see a real threat out there."

On how Che would fit in Michigan's speed in space offense:

"That's the type of offense he needs to be in because he's that type of player. He's that slash guy you can put at slot receiver and use as a return man. While some may say he's undersized, he's right around 5-foot-11, 175 pounds. He can get in the backfield, hit that hole and be gone before you know it. He can catch it out of the backfield. He can play wherever they need him. He's an athlete. They can find positions for athletes."

On Che earning a Michigan offer:

"It was huge. Everybody knows what Michigan is and what that brand means. I just turned 40, but watching those games as a kid on ABC was big. When we got it, we were like 'wow, this is major.' We were happy someone that big saw his talent down here."

On the Michigan staff:

"I'm kind of letting Che handle it until they really want to speak with me. I want him to man up and let him navigate his way. I think he's pretty prepared for it. I know he's talking to Coach (Josh) Gattis about setting up an official. It's early, so they are getting to know each other. We'll see what comes from that."

On decision factors:

"We're not going to BS it. Che wants to play at the next level, meaning college first then the NFL. We're going to look at programs that are going to showcase his skills to help him get there. Of course, we understand football is going to be over. We also want him to get a fine education and be proud of where he graduated from. Michigan is definitely at the top in terms of academics. We also want coaches that are going to be there when he's there. Location is not a big deal. He can go wherever we need to go for him to take it to the next level."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News