ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Insight On 2024 QB Target CJ Carr

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Are you ready to put your career in your own hands? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a member of TheWolverine.com and franchise veteran, having recently sold a franchise to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @FranchiseCoach

Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

I caught up with Chicago-area quarterback trainer Greg Holcomb to get his thoughts on rising 2024 Michigan quarterback target CJ Carr after working with him over the weekend. Holcomb also worked closely with freshman Michigan quarterback JJ McCarthy and is regarded as one of the best private quarterback trainers nationally.

Here are some highlights from our interview.

On his overall thoughts on Carr:

"For a 2024, he is really impressive in so many different ways. He has a ton of arm talent. He has good velocity on the ball. He throws with power. He can throw into a shoe box. You know the old cliche, he can make every throw. Well, he pretty much can. I saw him a year ago at my camp, and he's put on a significant amount of weight, which has helped him. He's always been a nice height, so he's obviously continuing to grow. What really surprised me in his session was his ability to throw on the move and off platform. I'm super impressed with his athleticism. Someone that young and that size usually doesn't have good habits built in. He does. I think he's going to be a tremendous talent. He has a ton of potential. The sky is the limit. I love training him. He's a great kid from a great family."

On what his ceiling is:

"He's a totally different type of quarterback than JJ, but he has the potential to have those kind of offers. He started with the home state schools. I see his recruiting really taking off. He's young. The kids I had catch for him this weekend said the same thing. They were surprised he was a freshman. First of all, he's really mature and poised for his age. Physically, he has a lot to offer. From a ceiling standpoint, I can see him being in a 20-plus offer situation."

On what Carr needs to keep working on:

"Consistency. He would make a really good throw and then a couple that weren't where they needed to be. That's with any quarterback that trains. I think that's going to separate them from guys they are competing with, whether it's at the high school level or college. It's that consistency. I would love to see those eyebrow raising wow throws that he made more consistently. It's just going to be cool to see him grow into his body. He already has such a powerful ball. He's got three years of high school left. I see him really developing into a high profile kind of kid."

On where Carr is now compared to when McCarthy was his age:

"That's a great question. They are very different in their skillset but also very similar in where they are in their development. It's easy to compare them to other freshmen. If CJ were here in Illinois, there aren't any 2024s that would be in the same level. As I look at the national scale, I would put him up there with some of the best. I really would. It was the same when JJ was a freshman. I was biased, but at the time, I said if there are five 2021 quarterbacks better than him, I'd like to see them. If there are five better 2024 quarterbacks better than CJ across the country, I'd like to see them. I think he's extremely talented. The ceiling gets me excited. He's going to be an elite level quarterback."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News