ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Insider Notes On Rivals250 LB Sebastian Cheeks

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** I made my way out to Evanston (Ill.) Township today to spend some time with 2022 Rivals250 linebacker Sebastian Cheeks, who remains a priority for Michigan this cycle. As I've previously mentioned on the board, I've been giving Cheeks some space. He hadn't been practicing with his team as his father has been going through some health issues that recently caused him to spend some time in the hospital. Obviously, this has taken a toll on Cheeks, who has put recruiting on the back burner. With that said, Cheeks looked like he was getting back to his old self today and told me that his father's health is improving. I would expect Cheeks to once again start focusing on recruiting in the near future.

*** Cheeks is very team-oriented and wants to make a decision before the fall as to not let the process become a distraction. But I do believe Cheeks is very stressed out with the process and everything going on personally. He admitted that a decision may not end up coming until later in the process. At this time, Cheeks doesn't have any definitive visit plans for the end of July when the dead period briefly comes to an end. The five schools still very much in the running for Cheeks are Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas and Wisconsin. Cheeks is playing things close to the vest and isn't giving much away. In fact, I've spoken to sources at some of his finalists, and none feel overly optimistic about landing him.

*** Cheeks obviously made his official visit to Michigan last month and really enjoyed his time on campus. While Michigan has been a major player for a long time, Cheeks had never been to Ann Arbor until his OV. Cheeks said he had a blast on campus and really enjoyed getting face time with Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh, defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald and linebackers coach George Helow. A smart kid in the classroom, Cheeks also loved getting to tour the Ross School of Business. Overall, the visit was positive for his recruitment. Still, I feel like Michigan has some work to do in order to eventually win over Cheeks. Honestly, I just feel like Michigan needs to crack his shell and find a way to connect with him personally.

*** Since the visit, Cheeks hasn't been fielding a ton of calls from coaches due to the aforementioned situation as well as the fact that he dropped his phone in the lake. In his more recent conversations with Macdonald and Helow, Cheeks told me that both have pitched him hard on scheme fit and having the ability to move around in their new 3-4 defense. Cheeks is being recruited as an inside backer, but the staff also likes what he brings as an edge rusher and a guy that can cover in space. Cheeks said he loved talking ball with both Macdonald and Helow, but again, I think winning him over personally will be key. Whichever school is able to do that effectively over the next month will win the race, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News