ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Ex-Wolverine David Underwood On Mike Hart Hire

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Help me welcome a new partner of TheWolverine.com, Adam Goldman, owner of FranchiseCoach.net:

Adam’s love of Michigan began when he chose the Fab Five to win the NCAA title in his dad's March Madness pool. Everyone thought he was crazy, but the Wolverines ended up going to the championship game and Adam won the pool.

In 2010, Adam engaged a franchise coach to explore a few options out of the 4,000 brands in 75 industries. He chose an office cleaning concept which he was able to build to 400 buildings cleaned in the Houston area and 40 franchisees. Adam recently sold the business to a strategic buyer.

For the past four years, Adam has helped prospective franchisees navigate the complex world of franchising. His FREE SERVICE helps them narrow their focus down to the three brands that best match them. His process saves his clients a lot of time by allowing them to focus their search on brands that they otherwise wouldn’t consider but match them the best.

"My Dad came home from his corporate job drained daily and he would have really benefited as a franchisee,” Adam said. "He has great management and people skills, he just needed a simplified process around him to become an entrepreneur. I get excited every day helping prospective business owners escape Corporate America and to follow their dreams by becoming franchisees.”

Contact Adam today to make your dreams a reality.

Here are tonight's Blue Chips:

Former Michigan running back David Underwood played with new Michigan running backs coach Mike Hart in Ann Arbor in 2004. Underwood now serves as the strength and conditioning coach at Lewisville (Texas) High and trains top prospects in the Dallas-area.

I caught up with Underwood to get his thoughts on Hart as well as how the Maurice Linguist hire will help Michigan recruiting in Texas.

On his overall thoughts on the Hart hire:

"First and foremost, Mike is going to bring his expertise as a Michigan player. Just the expectations of being a player in Schembechler Hall, whether you're a starter or a walk-on. He's going to have the same expectations for every running back. His coaching skills and expertise are going to kick in, and everybody is going to adapt to his teachings. He's a very knowledgable person. He's been in the NFL and around a few college teams. He has a lot to bring to the table. It was a good hire for us to get Mike Hart there. He's really going to upgrade the running back position. He's going to push those guys, they're going to compete hard everyday in practice and they're going to make each other better."

On any stories that really stick out from his time with Hart:

"He's a person that asks a lot of questions. He's a sponge. He's cerebral. He's an intellectual. He studied a lot of film. Mike and I had the opportunity to do a football camp together out in Winchester, Virginia. It was in the hometown of Tennessee all-time great Kelly Washington. Mike and I did the running backs together along with a few other guys like Quincy Wilson. Us three had a really good time with those kids. I think Mike was a junior. The way he was teaching those guys and having fun stood out. I took a couple of steps back and watched him coach for about five minutes. I said 'this man is going to be an excellent coach once he gets done playing football if he wants to get in the coaching ranks.' He did. The success he's had, I'm not surprised because I've seen it first hand."

On what Hart brings to the recruiting trail:

"He's outstanding. Mike has a knack for recognizing talent. It doesn't matter about stars. He can see a running back that he feels he can enhance through work ethic, strength and conditioning and coaching, and he'll offer. He can squeeze blood out of a turnip. He has the ability to do that. He's going to enhance anybody that he takes to put on that Wolverine uniform for us. He's really going to make those guys better. Recruiting is a special gift that he has."

On what he'll tell players he coaches and works with about why they should consider playing for Hart:

"As a running back, you want to be with a coach that's going to challenge you to be the best you can be on and off the field. If you want to be a person that's striving for greatness on and off the field, look no further than Mike Hart. Mike Hart is going to challenge you to be that successful person. He has a mission to groom young men into men. That's what it's all about. He wants to hold them accountable and have them be responsible for all of their actions, so when they get on the field, the on the field stuff will take care of itself. That's what I would tell a young man. If they're looking for a coach that's willing to mold them into a well-rounded person, look no further than Mike Hart."

On how Maurice Linguist will impact recruiting in Texas:

"Anytime you can hire a person from Texas, let alone Dallas, it's big-time. In my opinion, the best talent in the state of Texas in on I-20, where DeSoto, Cedar Hill and Duncanville are. Don't get me wrong, there is talent all over the state of Texas. But you can go down in that area and get a track star, a basketball player, a baseball player and you sure enough can get you a football player. With (Linguist) being there and knowing not only coaches and trainers but just people in the neighborhood, they have a tie. Anytime you can have a Texas connection it's big for the staff. I really think he's going to help us tremendously down the line. There are people here with Michigan ties. If we can get one then that could lead to three and so on. We can get something going like Ohio State."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News