ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Breaking Down New LB Target Jimmy Rolder

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
I recently caught up with Chicago (Ill.) Marist head coach Ron Dawczak to get his thoughts on new 2022 Michigan linebacker target Jimmy Rolder.

Here are some highlights from our interview.

On his overall thoughts on Rolder:

"He's always been a tremendously talented athlete. He's one of the best baseball players in the state of Illinois. He has great size and athleticism. When he was younger, he played tight end and was dominant there. He played middle linebacker for the first time in the spring when we had a shortened season. He really took to it and learned the position. All that hard work that he's put in is showing up on Friday nights for us this fall."

On Rolder flying under the radar for most of the process:

"The fact that we did not play football in the fall delayed things. Coaches weren't able to come out to the school and see him in person. There are only so many camps. He just didn't get the exposure that most people across the country got. It's a testament to him that he just put his nose down and continued to work hard. When he got his opportunity this fall, he shined. He's really taken off. He's had a tremendous season, and it's great to see these college coaches taking notice."

On Rolder's biggest strengths:

"I would project him as a prototypical inside linebacker. His football instincts and the quickness in which he makes reads puts him in the best position to be able to make tackles. When you combine his football instincts with his athleticism and ability to make plays sideline-to-sideline, I think he can be a really special player. He's tall, rangy, has long arms and covers a lot of ground quickly."

On how Rolder would fit in at Michigan:

"Middle linebackers in the Big Ten are tough, hard-nosed players. You have to be pretty special to be able to play inside linebacker int the Big Ten. He fits the same mold as some of the great linebackers that have come out of the Big Ten. He brings a lot of traits that football programs in the Big Ten like Michigan would love to have in their program — the speed, the athleticism and the toughness."

On Rolder's baseball background:

"He's a big kid. He played primarily third base and some shortstop. I walked into the stadium last year and faced the third baseman, and it was Jimmy Rolder. I thought I was looking at a major league player. He's so big and athletic. He just looks like a professional athlete. He's 6-foot-2 1/2, 225 pounds. He's a power hitter and moves well in in the field. His athleticism shines through on the baseball field and the football field."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News