ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: A Twist With George Rooks?

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are tonight's Blue Chips:

*** It looks like George Rooks might be even more like Drew Kendall than I originally thought. After pushing back his August decision timeline to the end of September, it now looks unlikely that the Rivals250 Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's Prep defensive lineman will make a commitment before the end of the week. Is it still possible? Of course... this is another weird recruitment. But I've heard from multiple people this afternoon that Rooks is leaning towards not making a decision this week. Rooks' father also told our PSU writer, Ryan Snyder, the same. It looks like everything is lining up for another delay with Rooks.

*** I'm not sure how I feel about Rooks pushing things back. While there has been a level of uncertainty with him, I thought Michigan would win out this week due to familiarity. His sister played basketball at Michigan, the U-M staff has been on him longer and he's visited Michigan more than PSU and the rest of his finalists. Rooks told me comfort was the biggest factor in his decision making process, which I thought was a little hint in favor of U-M. With another delay, it's clear this is more of a 50/50 race than ever before. It's definitely not great news that PSU is also starting to feel cautiously optimistic.

*** So when will Rooks make a decision? If he opts not to do it this week, then a commitment may not come until closer to the early signing period in December. While he's pushed things back a few times, Rooks has been adamant about not making a decision during the season. He is quiet by nature and doesn't want to distract from the team. Once his year begins on Friday, we're probably going to hear less from Rooks than we already do now. And his recruitment will continue to be a mystery. With both Rooks and Kendall, it's an 'I'll believe it when I see it' situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News