ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Chips: 2021 Michigan DL Recruiting Nuggets

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

*** Four-star 2021 Simi Valley (Calif.) Grace Brethren defensive tackle Jay Toia may be committed to USC, but that doesn't mean his recruitment is over. In fact, Toia released a Top 8 last night, and Michigan made the cut. UM defensive line coach Shaun Nua saw Toia before the dead period and has been making a strong push. With Nua's Polynesian ties, it wouldn't be surprising to see Toia make an official visit to Michigan.

*** Four-star 2021 Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro defensive end Quintin Somerville also named Michigan in his Top 8 last night. Michigan has always been a school of interest for Somerville. He was actually supposed to visit last fall before his travel plans were derailed. I recently spoke to Saguaro head coach Jason Mohns, who praised Nua for the job he's been doing recruiting Somerville. Expect the Rivals250 prospect to finally make his way to Ann Arbor after the dead period. Georgia and Washington will be tough to beat, though.

*** Rivals250 defensive end/outside linebacker Naquan Brown is set to release his final six schools soon. I do expect Michigan to make the cut here. Brown really likes what the Michigan program has to offer and was planning to make a visit before the abrupt dead period. However, Michigan has some work to do with the 2021 prospect. Schools like LSU, Penn State and Virginia Tech seem to be in a better position at this time.

*** I mentioned 2021 Rivals250 Everett (Wash.) Archbishop Murphy defensive end Josh McCarron as a prospect to watch earlier today. I spoke to a source in the Pacific Northwest that told me that McCarron's mother is actually from the state of Michigan and that there would be legitimate interest if the Wolverines offer. McCarron currently holds scholarships from Cal, Utah, Washington State and others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News