ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Comments .....Will get some angry .

AVALONBLUEFAN

Heisman
May 29, 2001
Davidsonville Maryland via Hillman Michigan
Ok ..... so I like many read MHoops1 and REALLY enjoy his analysis . I also like many others thoughts on this team . I will say that while so many are enjoyable , I still wonder where so many of us think that we are just so much smarter than Juwan on virtually everything on this team .

I read comments last night that we should :

1. Bench Teske
2. Start Davis
3. Start Bajema ( I know it was probably in jest , but who knows )
4. Why should Nunez EVER see the floor ?
5. Bench Simpson AND Teske as we played better without them .

I can remember posts this year that we should not have DDJ play , process Castleton and Davis ( early on ) , Teske was a stud , Simpson was an All American , Juwan is being out coached by EVERY coach that steps on the court , and that this team should start preparing for next year. Brooks was horrible ( remember his shooting slump ? ) and this was a terrible team .

I get the frustration within games . But why do we all think we know more about the roster and how minutes should be divided better than Juwan ? The bench Teske and start Davis thing may be the most crazy . Teske WILL be needed going forward , and in my limited years of coaching , MOST coaches create a rotation and for the most part are very reluctant to change it . Teske and Simpson did NOT play well last night , HOWEVER even though Teske has played poorly my guess is he will be the starter unless injured going forward . Davis has been incredible coming off the bench , playing 5-8 minutes each half and giving us alot more on offense than anyone ever hoped for . As CB posted before he will be gone next season it appears . His contribution in minutes will allow Juwan to keep Teske at 26-30 minutes I would guess going forward , but Davis could never play 25-30 minutes a game .

The Bajema vs Nunez crowd ....... clearly there is something Juwan sees that keeps Bajema on the bench . He made a 3 last night and the board acted like he was Klay Thompson . I have nothing against him , but clearly Juwan has Nunez ahead of him for a reason . I understand alot is fun for discussion within a game , but in some losses folks almost post that Juwan is lost and doesn't have a clue on how to coach .

The bench Teske and Simpson posts I kinda mentioned above , but to me Juwan is really doing a really good job in getting minutes from guys who are really getting more confidence ( Yes Davis , DDJ and Johns ) and are creating a very deep rotation for Juwan to use when guys DO have an off night . Earlier this year IF Teske and Simpson would have played against ANYONE like they did last night we would have lost the game .... Northwestern or anyone else . Oh and don't kid yourself . Most crushed Northwestern as some horrible team last night . Michigan , and how they played had ALOT to do with that . Northwestern will give some teams fits going forward . They have played tough and lost a bunch of close games ......they are young as hell .

I just wish we would look at things a little as a board through the long term lens ....... This is a very YOUNG group , including Juwan that has a ton of new parts and they are trying to mesh this group into a team . Juwan to me is doing a helluva job , and listening to him in his press conference as Andy Katz said you can see he is getting more confident and relaxed in what he is doing . This group is playing alot better defense , and clearly having Livers back is huge . How will they finish ? Who knows ...... but they are playing alot better , than a few weeks ago . Give Juwan some slack as well as Teske . There is a ton of basketball left . Clearly Jon HAS to step his game up alot . But we are going to need him IF we are to make a run in either tournament .

Sorry this is so long ........ got bored here at work !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News