ADVERTISEMENT

B1G/Pac 12 Alliance & Expansion

MaizeNBlue1817

Heisman
Aug 9, 2013
Based solely on this criteria, who does the Pac 12 and B1G add to get to 16 teams each?

- must be a stout football revenue producing program
- must be a brand enhancer for both conferences respectively
- must be an AAU member or an extremely strong academic research university that contributes to the educational values of each conference
- must NOT be a current SEC team
- must be able to add revenue to streaming content (it's far less about the cable box/satellite dish)
- must be able to go head-to-head with the SEC TV slots or overwhelm the other time slots
- geographic footprint does not matter

These are the issues facing the PAC 12/B1G and the criteria that is being discussed by the President's and Commissioners.

For the Pac 12, I can see them going after the Central time zone. Thereby guaranteeing games in that market. Kansas, Iowa St, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St make a lot of sense. The additions provide coverage for the PAC 12 in 3 time zones. The PAC 12 has shied away from the religious universities like BYU, so I think they pass on TCU and Baylor.

As for the B1G, one team makes perfect sense and that is Notre Dame. Doubtful, but who knows, the money is far better in the B1G than the ACC. Who else would work? I think the B1G poaches from the ACC if ND and Kansas are not in the mix. FSU and Miami coming as a package would be very interesting. NC and Duke will never leave the ACC. So, that leaves UVA, VT, and Georgia Tech as interesting options, but do they really do anything for revenue sharing? I would leave Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU out of any B1G solutions. I think the B1G is in a little tougher spot when it comes to additions.

The Pac 12/B1G Alliance appears to be looking at scheduling options. Adding two games against each other annually and each conference playing a game against the MWC/MAC respectively. The B1G would love the LA market games and the PAC 12 now gets into the Eastern time zone for games. Finally, does the B1G look at a Texas school leftover for revenue? Who could bring a significant piece of revenue?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News