B1G Hockey Weekend in Review Oct 17-18

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
B1G Hockey weekend review Oct 17-18

Michigan - New Hampshire

Fri New Hampshire 5, Michigan 1

Sat Michigan 2, New Hampshire 1

After a second period collapse on Friday night resulted in a 5-1 disappointment, Michigan rebounded Saturday on goals by defensemen Michael Downing and Cutler Martin to hold off the Wildcats' bid for a weekend sweep, 2-1

""It was night and day," said Michigan head coach Red Berenson of the difference in the team's play from Friday to Saturday. " I mean, you talk about the mental part of the game and after being embarrassed last night, I think everyone in that locker room knew that they had to play better, they had to prepare better and had to contribute in a team way rather than an individual way. I think everyone got caught up with this first home game business. We were in a lot of bad habits last night, and I thought we just stuck to hard-nosed hockey and hard work. I think anything, we got the break we needed."

Michigan State - UMass

Fri Michigan State 5, UMass 3

Sat Umass 4, Michigan State 3

Michigan State led late in the third period on a goal by Michael Ferrantino and appeared to be headed to a sweep of their leg of the Big Ten/Hockey East challenge until UMass struck with two late third period goals to salvage the win.

"This one was almost in our lap," Ferrantino, the Spartans' junior captain, told msuspartans.com. "This one stings. We wanted to get the sweep at home in front of our fans.''

"There's lessons to be learned every game and tonight we weren;'t ready when the puck dropped and that's on us - the leadership group,'' Ferrantino said. "We have to make sure we're ready to go.

"We shot ourselves in the foot coming down the stretch, and they got a bounce here and there and that's the game. We have to be dialed in for 60 minutes.''

Ohio State - Miami

Fri Miami 5, Ohio State 1

Sat Miami 2, Ohio State 1

Miami walked into Columbus and stole back-to-back wins on Friday and Saturday.

Buckeye goaltender Christian Frey did his part, though, on Saturday stopping 60 of 62 Miami shots in Ohio State's narrow loss.

Wisconsin - Northern Michigan

Fri Northern Michigan 2, Wisconsin 0

Sat Northern Michigan 4, Wisconsin 1

The pair of weekend losses to Northern Michigan on the weekend extended Wisconsin's season-opening streak of losses to four, all on the road. Wisconsin, struggling mightily on offense, managed only 32 shots on goal in total for the weekend. The Badgers finally get a pair of home appearances next weekend against always-tough North Dakota.

Penn State - Alaska Gold Rush Tournament

Fri Penn State 3, Alaska-Anchorage 3

Sat Alaska 4, Penn State 3

Penn State made the long trek northward to Fairbanks for the Brice Alaska Gold rush tournament and came away with a Friday night tie against Alaska-Anchorage.

Minnesota - Idle

Minnesota took the weekend off resting up from their Icebreaker Tournament title in South Bend. Bemidji State comes calling to Mariucci Arena next Friday and Saturday for a non-conference set.

Bob, I loved this breakdown of the B1G hockey weekend. Thanks for putting this together. Easy way to find out what other teams in the conference are doing each week.

Thanks. It's helpful for me to know what folks like, and what they can do without. My goal is to have The Yost Post develop into a place that people visit for all sorts of news.

I like the quick hitting weekend summaries as well. Maybe you could include a link to the standings and stats as well. Yes, I can get them on my own, but I'm lazy.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I like it, too.

I tried to get info from USCHO, and still do. But with my office stuck in an archaic version of IE, the pages are REALLY slow at loading, and sometimes messes up the format.

This, quick and easy news.

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT