ADVERTISEMENT

As far as coaching goes..

Macdaddy7657

Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2011
It's all starts with Harbaugh but that's not where this is going to start.

THOSE WHO STAY WILL BE CHAMPIONS.

so who stayed...Gattis...Jay Harbaugh...Moore on offense.

Jay Harbaugh was a product of his daddy. Nepotism at its finest to many. Can't coach RBs...can't coach special teams. Is an average to good recruiter. Only coaching because of his dad.
Sherrone Moore is a TE coach he's way in over his head but he did play oline in college so he might get lucky. It's going to be tough for him to replace Ed Warinner. Then there's Josh Gattis...TERRIBLE play caller...TERRIBLE in the red zone. Why did they bring him back? This will be his last year. His speed in space is inept. Look what happened last year.

Who left? Ed Warinner...damn good oline coach but couldn't get along with other coaches and was antiquated in how to deal with Young players of today. He was irreplaceable ...yet. yet he got canned. NOBODY saw that coming. Even my source who was very close to Warinner said he wasn't going anywhere. Coach Ben McDaniel the QB coach he was atrocious and they were right. No major loss with Jimmy taking the QB room back.

Who came...Mike Hart who most would say would be a great addition we a solid RB room. Matt Weiss the analytic boy wonder QB coach that nobody knew anything about except Jim and John Harbaugh.

I'm going lump special teams in here also with offense to save time so let's start there. Michigan lead the B1G in overall special teams efficiency and Jay Harbaugh deserves 100% of the coaching credit. So special teams the "experts" get a C+ because they were not overly critical of special teams. Some even defended Ronnie Bell being on punt return.

Offense coaches gets a D+ . The bashing Gattis took...the constant narrative about the uncertainty about the oline especially the constant nitpicking of the oline was direct reflecting on Moores ability to coach which was totally unwarranted. They got it right about Mike Hart but none of them saw the HUGE improvement by the RBs. Jay Harbaugh took his lumps also with people thinking he can't coach but all you have to do is look at the TE improvement. Just an add on for Gattis..how'd those WRs do. Gattis took a beating for that also...they can't get separation was always my buzz phrase. Now the Broyles Award winner!

Defensive coaches:
Who left...Bob Shoup never coached....Don Brown stubborn and would not adapt they got that right...Mike Zordich who wouldn't recruit damn good position coach but antiquated...Brian Jean Mary just another retread. No major losses here.

Who stayed:

Shawn Nua who got destroyed by the fan base and the "experts" the abuse he took from so many alone is justification for an F but there is more to the story but this brings the "experts" overall grade down.

Who came:
Ron Bellamy...no negative to him..most said he would be a plus for Detroit area recruiting so a win for the experts. Clinkscale who was another big hire for recruiting and as a position coach. Helow was known as a solid recruiter so not a lot of negativity. Mike Macdonald they didn't have much on so they remained mildly cautiously optimistic. They did say it would take a couple of years to turn the defense around.

Defense if not for the Nua bashing the "experts would get a cautious B but with Nua they get dropped to a C. Nua finally got to coach the Dline they way he knows how to coach and for being a a not so great recruiter the Dline haul the last 2 years has been very good.

Now the head coach. "Harbaugh is lost".. He's not himself. He's not the "Jackhammer" anymore...he's lost his edge.. he's done. The fan base wanted him fired and then his head in a basket.

Harbaugh did what any GREAT leader does...he fixed what wasn't working. He got rid of the life sucking entities from his coaching staff. It was always said Harbaugh pushed his coaches so hard they would quit him. I'm sure he felt like no one could keep up with his energy. Well he fixed that by hiring a group of young hungry intelligent coaches who have energy and stamina to keep up with him. He changed a culture in less than 6 months that everyone said could not be turned around in one year and I mean NOBODY gave him a chance. For this I give Paul Finebaum and so many other self proclaimed "experts" and many in the fan base an F- I'd go lower if I could.

So take bow Jimmy Harbaugh because you bet on yourself and proved them ALL wrong!

This HC, the staff and all the players created a sports miracle for all of us to witness in our life times. WE THANK YOU ALL ...GO BLUE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News