ADVERTISEMENT

Always 3 undefeated: 1) Father Time; 2) Hard Work; 3) The Hype Train (Especially Backup QB Hype Train)

90MVarsity

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2020
There are always three things that are undefeated, Father Time, Hard Work (and I got the Hard Work is Undefeated tee shirt, so this is not debatable); and the Hype Train!! Like Sam McGuffie was going to be the next Christian McCaffrey because he hurdled a dude in H.S. :) H.S. hype is a dangerous thing.

People who are calling for JJ are doing that based upon what? Nothing he's done in a game at Michigan. Cade played a bad half of football. But I've watched this OC make a lot of our QBs look bad. Maybe even all of them. People that are clamoring for JJ are not doing it based on anything he's done in a game at Michigan. It's based upon hype, and when fans start fussing for a QB based upon hype, it is often not good. I used to think Wilton Speight wasn't that good, and that transfer from Houston, that O'Korn kid....let's get a look at him. And when I looked, I had to shield my eyes. And then I became a Speight fan.

I'm not saying JJ will be O'Korn at all. But if he was better than Cade he would have won the job. Cade has some strengths. Up until yesterday, he has been pretty accurate. And even yesterday, he hit Sainristil in the hands on the fade. It's been asked, why wasn't that to Johnson or Baldwin at 6'2"? (play design? WTF?) Cade also recognizes things pre-snap that Joe Milton never did. He knew he had a TD to Ronnie Bell way before the ball was snapped...so he recognizes things pre-snap better than most IMO.

The problem is our OC. For as much as I hate Ryan Day, he schemes his guys wide open a lot. It's not just talent with them. Day (and I hate the guy) knows how to call a game. Gaddis doesn't. NOT ONE SCREEN yesterday? Their best corner is suspended...and not one long shot to test the backup? We have 1000 short passes in the playbook, because we saw them last year...and no they didn't work. But they work at other schools...can we not coach them up? Didn't see any of the bubble game...was that simply because Washington stopped it?

JJ McCarthy is not going to do more than Cade with Gaddis as OC. I get the run the ball until they stop it mentality in the first three games. But Gaddis has had 10 games to prove to me that he is a good OC and he's just not succeeded. Cade didn't help him yesterday...but still. Maybe I'm a victim of the NEW OC HYPE TRAIN!! I would have backed up the brinks truck for Joe Morehead who has multiple wins over Ohio State, including for Oregon this year. Or if you don't like him, go get the best power spread OC in college football WHO HAS PREVIOUSLY CALLED PLAYS and back up the brinks truck for whoever that is.

I bet Ohio State puts up more than 20 on Rutgers next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News