ADVERTISEMENT

After Michigan got blown out by UGA...

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
I felt strangely optimistic, as I saw the blueprint in UGA for what I thought that Michigan could become.

I stated this back in 2021 after the Bowl Game; Michigan is trying to build like UGA: from the inside out, defense and OL first...Maybe not expecting a walk-on like Stetson Bennett to win back-to-back titles, but also not a program with an insane focus of signing 5-star QBs or big $ QB transfers.

In fact, UGA's "big $ transfer" was the return from the portal of their starter from last season, who was a whisker away from getting UGA their third straight #1 seed. They "missed on" (or probably wouldn't match Nebraska's bid for) Raiola. So they settled for the best statistical QB returnee in 2024, Mr. Beck...4-star, #16 QB Nationally, ranked 225 nationally in the composite rankings...In other words not an "elite recruit" originally.

In other words, when thinking back to UGA's recent dominance, names like Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter bottling up Michigan's run game for the first time all season. Then, a combination of Nolan Smith, Nakobe Dean, "Walker" (could've been Quay or Travon, probably both), DeVonte Wyatt, Derrion Kendrick, and Louis Cine cleaned up on tackles, TFL's, sacks, and turnovers.

Looking at Michigan last season, it was like seeing a trio of DTs like Davis, Carter, and Wyatt in maize and blue watching Jenkins, Graham, and Grant. Keep in mind that Jordan Davis and DeVonte Wyatt were both solidly-ranked 5.8 4-stars, both outside the top 250, but neither were elite-ranked recruits, like Carter, who was a 6.0 4-star in the top 60 nationally.

But like UGA's 2021 D, Michigan's 2023 D came in waves, which was one of the main reasons offenses struggled- Ask Jalen Milroe and Alabama's OL, which gave up 6 first half sacks, and most of them could've been shared by three or four different defenders.

We were mobbing teams on the outside with sheer numbers: Not one of Harrell (who led Michigan in sack), McGregor, D. Moore, or Stewart were dominant along the lines of Hutch or Ojabo, but the variance in styles and skills led to matchups: Smaller OL struggled more with Moore's power and McGregor's size. Those who had issue with quickness struggled against Stewart. Harrell was the "jack-of -all trades" pass-rusher and best run stopper of the bunch (though all were + run stoppers).

I love to point at the Alabama game as key proof: Higher-ranked and more highly-touted pass rush combo Dallas Turner and Chris Braswell were supposed to dominate (rankings, again being the "proof") our not 100% (missing Zinter) OL.

1 sack for them. Their Damon Payne (remember the 2021 top 100 DT recruit from Bellevillle?) sat and watched as younger (2022) and lower-ranked DTs from Michigan dominated at the level a recruit like him should be dominating.

That's why I look at every top 100 recruit Michigan has committed for the future as the "cherry on top" of great scouting stories- High-upside players like Edokpayi have a place on the roster right next to top 100 players like Marshall and our roster will look even more like UGA's.
I'm sure nobody should be surprised when I see UGA as a huge favorite over the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News