ADVERTISEMENT

A Story about Leaving Corporate America by FranchiseCoach

FranchiseCoach

Letterman
Jan 15, 2021
As part of my sponsorship, I am providing my monthly writeup on franchising. Thanks, @EJ Holland and @ChrisBalas

I have been an entrepreneur for a long time and many of you can relate to my experience. Many people on this board have been in similar situations. I started my entrepreneurial life at Sycamore High School in Cincinnati. My partner and I started a driveway sealing business called the “Driveway Doctors.”

This is not a bragging post. I’m sharing this because I want to share how it feels to say goodbye to a full-time job in corporate America.

My Life in Corporate America

I’ve always considered myself a “corporate refugee.” Even when I worked hard I felt empty and unsatisfied. After graduating, many of my classmates were offered positions where they would have to work more than 80 hours per week. That didn’t sound appealing.

I was short on funds and accepted a sales job for an IT consulting company in Austin, TX. Soon, I realized that Corporate America just wasn’t really right for me. The pay was low. I felt unappreciated and disrespected.

I knew that I wanted something else. I didn’t know what and how to start it. On a visit to my best friend in Atlanta, he recommended I reach out to a Franchise Consultant. I didn’t know what a Franchise Consultant was. I had nothing to lose, so I spoke to her.

THE PROCESS

When I spoke with her, we focused on the following characteristics:
  • A Scalable Business
  • A Business that would provide me with flexibility
  • One with high income potential

My franchise consultant gave me 3 business options. One of them was Vanguard Cleaning. I understood the business and believed that it was the perfect fit for me.

My wife and I ended up buying the master franchise license for Houston.

The American Dream Comes True

I started the business in June, 2010. It’s more than a decade ago but it feels like yesterday. The struggles were real! One month, I had to dip into my retirement account to pay payroll. I had some personal challenges that distracted me from running the business. All of a sudden, things started to change for the better.

The company turned into a multi-million dollar business which I sold to a strategic investor. This allowed me to diversify and buy other investments.

Now, I have a high quality of life. I am able to drop my daughter off at school each morning. I am at every tee ball game. My family goes on extended trips every summer. I can take time off during the middle of the day to go for a swim or jog. I have gained freedom!

To say I have a great quality of life is putting it mildly!

So that’s my journey to franchise ownership and the American Dream. If you or anyone you know would like to learn more about business ownership or franchise opportunities, reach out below.

Adam
713-309-6776
www.FranchiseCoach.net

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News