ADVERTISEMENT

A Horrible Night

martyk

Michigan Man
Silver Member
Aug 24, 2001
Cala "badass" Ca
My wife, my daughter and I had dinner out last night to celebrate the end of the school year. Since my daughter isn’t big on restaurants and we’re coming off lockdown, it was our first family dinner out in quite a long time. Since more than one glass of wine was likely, it was also my first Uber ride in a year and a half. The night was great until we got home and things took a very dark turn

The Uber driver had to wait for security at our gate and we watched several ambulances and sheriff’s cars fly through the resident’s entrance lane. I immediately started to worry about what happened and thought about some of the elderly residents that I know here. As we pulled up to our house, we saw that the flashing lights were only a few doors ahead and we knew that the problem was at one of two neighbors, both friends with no one over fifty-something years old living in their home

My wife went to check and learned that our neighbor had committed suicide. The family had just finished dinner and agreed on a movie. He excused himself, walked into a closet and shot himself.

He was a spinal surgeon in his fifties and the last guy you’d ever expect. This place is full of entrepreneurs and entertainment people who can live somewhat volatile lifestyles (as their careers and financial positions could be less stable), but the MDs here tend to be more buttoned down and this guy was no exception. Very smart, low key, friendly and (from all outside indications) a happy and loving husband and dad. Not a big drinker and not AFAIK a fan of any recreational drugs. He was a very skilled pianist and a guy who’d actually indulge some of my more arcane interests in conversation. Just the nicest guy.

Both of his twin daughters had just been accepted to Princeton and, tho he never mentioned that, I could see how proud he was when I congratulated him on the news. He seemed absolutely normal. Then this, out of nowhere. I guess he started reporting some paranoid inclinations to his wife just this week, but she says she had zero indication of any problems before this past Tuesday. Can mental health issues spiral out of control that quickly?

My wife stayed with his widow until the coroner left (2:30 AM), but both the widow and the kids are a wreck. I’m not sure what we can do to help, but this is going to be a difficult few days ahead for everyone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News